New 75 Gallon Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abakatone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.

So I've had a 75 gal tank waiting for 3 months and I'm finally ready to start.

I know I want discus. I figured around 5 or 6. Then I was thinking maybe 4 kuhli loaches. And some sort of tetra around 6 or so.

A few questions.

Compatible species? I've read yea but thought I'd ask.

Habitat setup? I definitely want a nice size piece of driftwood. Two small pots (for the loaches, heard they like them). Two or three moss balls. Remainder fake plants. Not sure what to use for a substrate.

Am I overcrowding? I wanted 12 tetras but thought it to be too many.

Filter? I was thinking Fluval 405.

That seems to be enough for now. See where the discussion goes.

Thank you in advance.

Looks good I think. Not all tetra are compatible with Discus as some may be too small or require cooler temps. I think Cardinals are said to do well with Discus. So you could do:

6 Discus
5-6 Kuhlis
10 Cardinals

When you said "waiting" for 3 months....how are you cycling the tank? Are you adding an ammonia source? Just letting it run without ammonia isn't cycling it I'm afraid.

Going to cycle with the tetras. Waiting 3 months because my basement was under construction.

Any ideas on substrate?

If you're going to have loaches then sand might be better than gravel. Any sand should do; chain pet/fish stores sell aquarium sand but it can be a bit pricey. Pool Filter Sand is often used and it is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom