new 90 gallon-need help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bthomas

Aquarium Advice Activist
tube_combo.gif
I picked up a 90 gallon aquarium stand and hood this past week for a steal. I attached a pic of the tank design, basically two 45-46 gallons connected by the two swim tubes. Originally I told my husband we would make it a piranha tank(had to sell him on yet another tank)! Now after some reading I dont think it would work because of their adult size and the need for a school. Any opinions on this or ideas for something that could work other than a community tank? Im stuck!

What do you mean by "other then a community tank". You want only 1 species? Gourami would work well, as would loaches. The loaches would love the tubes between the tanks. Also what would be pretty cool is if you got a couple big angels, and put one in each tank, then get some community fish like corys, loaches, and tetras. Then the angels couldn't pass throw the tubes, but the other fish could. That's what I would do.

I was thinking of something a little different for this tank(piranha, oddballs) just not sure what would work. and since its two separate 45s totaling 90 -should I still stock it as a 90? Also the dimensions on each 45 are roughly 21x13x26 . Tall and narrow!

Ya, tall and narrow are perfect for an angel. I would treat it as a 90g, because there should be plenty of flow between the two tanks. I would do 1 aquaclear 70 on each side for filtration. But you want some oddballs? How about 2 African butterflies (1 on eac side), 1 elephant nose, and 1 scat.

I love the angel idea & african butterfly. I'll have to look into the scat? I honestly have no clue what that is. Would the spotted climbing perch work with them. Also what type of loaches did you have in mind that would enjoy the swim tubes?

Well I just looked at the scat. I guess if the spotted perch wouldn't work these guys look kind of similar.

Scars are a brackish fish in the wild, but have been bred in the hobby to be freshwater. My local fish store carries them and they seem very healthy and very unique. If you are interested in the spotted perch, then that would be perfect. I thought the African butterfly would be cool because they would most likely not go to the other tank. How about this...2 angels, 1 perch, 2 African butterfly's, and 8 striatia botia.

Great ideas, sounds like a fun tank! I cant wait to get things up and running(still in the cleaning stage) I havent seen the butterfly,perch,or scat in any of my lfs. They always have the zebra loaches though.. ( I can always ask & possibly have them ordered)Now I just need to figure out how to scape this thing. Tall & narrow seems a bit more challenging....

Back
Top Bottom