New 90gal up and running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just thought I would post a pic of my work in progress. Now if I only had that second 45lbs of liverock...

I have 3 X maxijet 1200's to place in the tank yet, but that should complete my in-tank work until I get the rest of the LR :D

Attachments

• 90galsetup_575.jpg
    90galsetup_575.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 36
Nice. What type of tank is it? Is it RR with predrilled holes? Are they in the back or bottome?

How much did you pay and where did you get it?

What kind of lights are you using?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do a 90gallon myself and want to knwo all the details.

It's an All Glass Aquariums 90 gallon megaflow. The big black box that you see in the pic is the built in overflow box. The tank is pre-drilled on the bottom. I bought AGA's plumbing kit for it which comes with the standpipe, the return pipe and the bulkheads. Setup in the tank is super easy.

I paid $649 for the tank, stand and the glass top, but that was here in Alaska where the prices on stuff tend to be higher due to shipping costs to get things up here, so you could very probably get it cheaper. The megaflow plumbing kit is another $49 from DrsFoster&Smith.

For lighting I'm using the Coralife Aqualight Plus which is 4 X 96 watt PC (2 X 10K and 2 X Actinic) and has the 4 lunar LED's built in. External ballast so the heat isn't too bad. Less heat than the 2 X 96 watt that I have on my other tank but has the ballast built in to the fixture. Was a pricey light solution though, bought it locally for $500

Beautiful Tank afilter! I like the woodtone tank and stand too. For some reason nobody stocks anything but the basic black around here.

I like the way you have the LR hiding most of the overflow box. That's my plan also. I thought the overflow in this thing was going to be loud due to it's size, but was surprised that it's fairly quiet :)

Thanks,

The way I hid most of the overflow was with a couple of pieces of large flat lace rock positioned vertically. I then stacked smaller pieces of LR rock in front of and around them creating the drop off affect. Creates lots of caves and holes and ledges (good spot for corals) as well as a void in the back for the fish to hide in. Very little of my rock is actually leaning against the back of the tank as well reducing the potentila for pieces to fall and scratch the glass.

Good luck with yours,

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice. I'll be ordering the rest of my LR hopefully for delivery next week.

How mush LR are you ordering? FWIW I bought very little LR. I used base rock (coral,tuffa, lace) for the majority of my rock work and then just bought a few pieces of colorful LR and placed it in and amongst my rock work. Over time all rock eventually becomes LR, it just depends how patient you are and how much you want to spend.

When I buy snails and coral I get additional coraline that comes along and is spreading through the tank nicely now.

If you think about it all the rock you will have on the bottom will not be exposed and get a lot of light, so you could save some $ and just use base rock to start out with. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom