New Acan frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked up one of these frags too. I have been wanting one for awhile but all this talk about them recently made me do it.
Regarding the "spot feeding" how do you do this? I have been trying to do it with the turkey baster technique but if I give it a squirt it doesnt seem to catch anything. Its in a medium flow area of the tank. When I take my time and slowly squeeze the msyis out of the baster the acan grabs a piece but then my cleaner shrimp always steal the mysis from it. My third plan which I did tonight was to take the acan out, put it in a cup of tank water and then squirt the mysis in. This worked ok, but then I started thinking. If I keep taking the frag out it will never be able to spread onto the rock below it. Right?
Are any of you guys having good luck with growth and your acans? If so what technique are you using? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 76
wait till night time when the tentacles come out. shut off all flow, and then put the food on the tentacles. i use a flashlight, and hit all my lps at the same time like this. then i leave the flow off for about 20-30 minutes, until they've taken the food in.

this is what they will look like at night-
img_869854_0_ca8f6f0d1b69d46851fa3fc51f0d96fa.jpg

Wow, those are some serious tentacles. The one on the left looks like the tentacles from my brain coral at night. The Acan I have tentatcles' look more like the one on the right side of the picture. Do you have cleaner shrimp in your tank? My issues is that they steal the food. I always have to swat them away. I always thought cleaner shirmp were purely good and everybody should have a bunch of them. Now I see why not. I have 2-cleaner shrimp.

Give the cleaners a shot of food in a corner of the tank to keep them busy, then feed the acans.

Great shot there Doug!

Acans seem to catch food the easiest of all corals in my tank. Whenever I feed my tank they would gobble up at least 2-3 pieces per polyp. So I don't know about others that have these corals, but mine doesn't need spot feeding at all.

When I put food in the tank, not much of it even makes it down to the acan. Except for the millions of cyclops particles. I have always wondered it I am feeding me tank enough or not. When feeding Mysis shrimp forzen cubes, how much do you feed. For example I feed about 1/3 of a frozen cube of mysis to my 75gallon tank on days when I am feeding mysis. What does everybody else do?

wow ive always wanted an acan frag but ther always 100 plus dollars
wait till night time when the tentacles come out. shut off all flow, and then put the food on the tentacles. i use a flashlight, and hit all my lps at the same time like this. then i leave the flow off for about 20-30 minutes, until they've taken the food in.

this is what they will look like at night-
img_882367_0_ca8f6f0d1b69d46851fa3fc51f0d96fa.jpg

slush. give me a couple months. i'll hook you up for a third of that. no one should pay that kind of money for a frag.

Back
Top Bottom