New addition to our fish family, have a feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
We just got 2 adorable Green Dragon BN Plecos. Once they are big enough they will go in with our Mbunas. But for now they will remain in the QT until they are much larger. One is about an inch and a half the other a bit smaller. They were the biggest that the FS had.
With their mouths being so small they can't seem to eat even small pieces of NLS wafers. They aren't going near it. So I've been putting 10 pellets of NLS grow 4 times a day on a piece of wood for them.
Is the NLS grow enough nutrition for them? Should I keep adding the tiny pieces of NLS wafer, hoping that they will try it? Or should I just stick with the NLS grow until they are larger, then start with the wafers?
The only thing I know for sure is that NLS is what I want to feed them. It's just which NLS is the best for such tiny BN Plecos?

I tried to get pics. of them today but none of them turned out. As they grow I will try and get a few descent photos.

I would use your grow or 1mm cichlid until they gravitate towards the wafers. I feed all my plecs a combination of pellets and wafers which is more than enough daily nutrition.

I would use your grow or 1mm cichlid until they gravitate towards the wafers. I feed all my plecs a combination of pellets and wafers which is more than enough daily nutrition.

I've always feed my Plecos both pellets and wafers too. In fact in my Mbuna tank the Mbunas are always stealing the wafers from my regular BN Pleco.
I just wanted to be sure that the grow pellets would be enough to sustain them until they are big enough for the wafers.
Thanks

They are to small for even zucchini. Like the smidgen of wafer I've put in, they just ignore everything but the .5mm grow pellets. Well that and the wood they go nuts over.

What size are they? I bought my Albino Pleco when it was little bit bigger then half an inch, and at first it ignored the zuchinni, then after while it when nuts for it.

What size are they? I bought my Albino Pleco when it was little bit bigger then half an inch, and at first it ignored the zuchinni, then after while it when nuts for it.

The biggest one is maybe an inch and a half. The other is about an inch. I've only had them for 3 days, so I'm sure things will change. They are very energetic so I'm not having any trouble with them. I just want to avoid any problems.
After a BN Pleco gets to be a couple of inches long they start to be pretty hardy. But when they are small like this, it doesn't take much to make them sick or worse die.
I'm just being extra cautious.

Back
Top Bottom