New addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright after a few days of sitting in a breeding cage/net in my 26gal my male betta has been freed. So far everything is going good. He hasn't flared up at anyone, but mostly curious about anything in the tank. The poor thing probably has never seen another fish before. I've slowed down my filter and bubblewand so he could at least swim around without being caught in the current. Is there anything I need to watch out for?

Congrats to you and your Betta! :) I have a male Betta in my community tank too, with no aggression problems whatsoever. He is just curious. Of course I made sure to choose non-Betta looking fish for tank mates. Just watch for anyone nipping his fins. Good luck!

Congrats on your new betta in the community tank.

Watch out for any aggression towards him and other fish. Also make sure there are no nippy tank mates or you could be looking for trouble.

And one important thing, make sure to always have a back-up plan, just in case something goes wrong with this.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

I checked on him this morning and he's doing great. I'll just keep checking up on him to make sure no one is nipping at him. I do have 3 platies in this tank and they don't seem to bother him much. He was mostly interested in my bruslednosed pleco's, I kept an eye on him all evening and didn't show any aggressivness. I do have a back up plan just in case something goes wrong, a vase with a heater.

Okay, but if you do have to add him to the vase if something does go wrong, you are going to have to keep a tight maintenance schedule for the vase. Basically, since it has no filter, the only source of keeping the water clean is to do a daily partial water change (10 - 15%) everyday (With the addition of Prime < Optional but I would recommend it).

I do use prime when putting in new water in all my tanks and I have had betta in this vase before, it's around 1 gal and I am prepared to change the waters daily.
I have backup for my backup plans, if not the vase I will make another divider for my 15gal, or take my small 1 gal tank w/filter and stick him in there too. :)
The only thing now is to get the little betta heater to work for the vase, it goes from 69 to 71F, bettas need a higher temp right?
I might have to go out and get another one. Any suggestions?

Yes bettas need a higher temperature than that so I would recommend getting a different one. I'm not sure which one though

Back
Top Bottom