New additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
5" Burundi I think that's right

image-1376172202.jpg

3" only know it as a red frontosa perhaps somebody can help with its true name.

image-4247903118.jpg

And finally a new red zebra his colour is great so I couldn't resist him :)

image-644504761.jpg

Attachments

• image-1910867589.jpg
    image-1910867589.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 88
I already have one with my yellow labs and they never bother each other.Im more worried about the fronts being compatible with each other.So far so good though.

Great pics , nice frontosa. I have a funny feeling they refer to them as copper frontosa ( red frontosa ) but will have to look it up.

Ukdans1k said:
Great pics , nice frontosa. I have a funny feeling they refer to them as copper frontosa ( red frontosa ) but will have to look it up.

Yeah just seen that on google.Seems to be called a copper banded frontosa.

ohh wow i just did a bit of research lol and realized there both frontosa? just different breeds..i thought there was only one type of frontosa, i heard it was very aggressive tho

Ok from what I can find out they derive grime Burundi mostly. And are similar to albinos in other species. They are general not a pure breed. (hybrid) but are beautiful.
Hope this helps

Ukdans1k said:
Ok from what I can find out they derive grime Burundi mostly. And are similar to albinos in other species. They are general not a pure breed. (hybrid) but are beautiful.
Hope this helps

Thanks yeah that's very helpful.

a.tetreault said:
ohh wow i just did a bit of research lol and realized there both frontosa? just different breeds..i thought there was only one type of frontosa, i heard it was very aggressive tho

Reading up there are about 10 types of frontosa.

These are the types I have found :

Cyphotilapia frontosa "Copperband"
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'blue zaire'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'Burundi'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'chaitika'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'kavala'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'mabilibili'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'moba'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'mpimbwe blue'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'samasi'
Cyphotilapia frontosa 'zambia' Stock
Cyphotilapia frontosa ‘Kigoma’ Stock

yes i have read...some get over a foot long? and i have also read that they will eat other fish..anything five inches and under can be considered as food for them? maybe this info isnt correct. Both of your frontosa are most likely man made...the red being a hybrid attempt to create an albino, and the burundi unless wild caught is most likely also a hybrid of different frontosa. Very confusing :p you really dont know what your gonna get with these fish haha

There are something like 21 varieties of frontosa. Can remember the figures I will try and find it out. But for explanation sake lets say there is 10 species and 11 sub species from the 10.

I also think they require a little different diet than the zebra or other Mbuna. I believe the frontosa needs more of a protein based diet (meaty).

Frontosa are generally peaceful, gentle giants. They do become a little more aggressive at spawning time, especially if more than one make is present, but even the females will show off and fight.

They require large swimming room. And a large tank eventually. Burundi are I think either the largest or second largest species. The males getting up to 12 inches. There primary diet is fish and crustaceans.

I feed mine, live shrimp. Frozen prawns, mussels, cockles, mysis, daphnia and whitebait. It's expensive but they love it and they are worth it. My potential breeding group is nine strong two males the rest females I believe.
They are hypnotising to watch, and a beautiful species of fish.

Occasionally I feed live shrimp like once a month.The 2 larger ones seem to be accepting each other which is good.They are in a 5 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot for now but come October I will be getting a 6 foot plus tank.

Back
Top Bottom