New and completely inexperienced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latashalaine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 10 gal tank my boys got for Christmas. I have no knowledge whatsoever and have a few questions that I pray someone can answer.

1st, I am thinking of cycling my tank by using a friends bacteria bed. How do I need to go about that? Do I just squeeze the bio filter water into a jar and pour it into my tank?

2nd, I would like to purchase Zebra Danios, at least 1 guppie, and at least 1 red dalmatian Molly. How many of this combination could fit comfortably in my tank?

3rd, I want to get at least 2 live plants. Any suggestions for the type of fish I will have?

Thanks!

I have a new 10 gal tank my boys got for Christmas. I have no knowledge whatsoever and have a few questions that I pray someone can answer.

1st, I am thinking of cycling my tank by using a friends bacteria bed. How do I need to go about that? Do I just squeeze the bio filter water into a jar and pour it into my tank?

2nd, I would like to purchase Zebra Danios, at least 1 guppie, and at least 1 red dalmatian Molly. How many of this combination could fit comfortably in my tank?

3rd, I want to get at least 2 live plants. Any suggestions for the type of fish I will have?

Thanks!

Take a piece of filter media and insert it in your filter to cycle. Remember to provide ammonia.
Zebra danios are too active for a ten gallon and mollies too big. I would suggest two male guppies, 1 male platy, and a small school of ember tetras or chili rasboras, no less than five and no more than 7.

Welcome to AA!

Firstly, you are absolutely right that a tank needs to be cycled before adding any fish. A week to 2 weeks is best to let bacteria build in the filter media. To do this, you don't need to do anything fancy, just let it run with the heater and filter and lighting on. It's called a fishless cycle. As you are new to the hobby, I would suggest easy community fish, such as neon tetras, and you could probably stretch to guppies and mollys. The latter two are live bearers, so they breed and give birth in the tank. I recommend 1:1 ratio male to female, so 2 guppies and 2 mollys. Neon tetras you would need to get at least 6 as they shoal together. Only start with very few fish and add over 1-2 week periods on a new tank. I would buy 6 neon tetras first and then add from there once they have settled in.

The danios are too active for this sized tank, so I would rethink these. Start with the above named species first. As for the plants, java fern and Anubis are very good hardy plants providing they get enough light, 8-10 hours a day is fine. I would recommend you buy these attached to bog wood or rock, which your local fish store can sell you attached already.

Any questions feel free to ask away :)

Welcome to AA!

Firstly, you are absolutely right that a tank needs to be cycled before adding any fish. A week to 2 weeks is best to let bacteria build in the filter media. To do this, you don't need to do anything fancy, just let it run with the heater and filter and lighting on. It's called a fishless cycle. As you are new to the hobby, I would suggest easy community fish, such as neon tetras, and you could probably stretch to guppies and mollys. The latter two are live bearers, so they breed and give birth in the tank. I recommend 1:1 ratio male to female, so 2 guppies and 2 mollys. Neon tetras you would need to get at least 6 as they shoal together. Only start with very few fish and add over 1-2 week periods on a new tank. I would buy 6 neon tetras first and then add from there once they have settled in.

The danios are too active for this sized tank, so I would rethink these. Start with the above named species first. As for the plants, java fern and Anubis are very good hardy plants providing they get enough light, 8-10 hours a day is fine. I would recommend you buy these attached to bog wood or rock, which your local fish store can sell you attached already.

Any questions feel free to ask away :)

I'm sorry, but I disagree with the stocking suggested. All livebearers need a 1:2 M:F ratio. Mollies get to 3-6 inches. Guppies are fine, but neons are far too active, which is why I suggested ember tetras.
OP- How about going to liveaquaria.com and telling us what fish you like? We can help you form an appropriate stocking plan

I'm sorry, but I disagree with the stocking suggested. All livebearers need a 1:2 M:F ratio. Mollies get to 3-6 inches. Guppies are fine, but neons are far too active, which is why I suggested ember tetras.
OP- How about going to liveaquaria.com and telling us what fish you like? We can help you form an appropriate stocking plan

what does the term livebearer mean exactly and do I need that ratio even when I'm not wanting breeding to take place?

do I need to make an account on liveaquaria in order to do that?

Livebearer refers to a group of small freshwater fish that includes guppies, mollies, swordtails, and platies (amongst others). Unlike egg layers, livebearers give live birth to their young.

Ok, IMO, neons would be ok in there, but only OK. But if I were you, I'd get 2 male, and 6 (4 would probably be OK) female guppies. They'll breed, yes, but you can just fish out the young and give/sell them to a LFS (local fish store) or let the adults eat the fry. Then I'd get 6 pygmy cories for the bottom. And ghost shrimp are fun too, plus if they die, they're only $00.25 a piece. A small price to pay for fun, active algae eating bottom feeders that you can get like 20 of.

I only suggested 1:1 due to the size or the tank. I agree with 1:2 being ideal.

For your size tank and if you don't want loads if fry, stick to 1:1 as I originally suggested.

The complete cycle won't complete in 1-2 weeks but nobody ever waits 5-6 weeks before adding fish. The fish help the nitrogen cycle after they have been added.

I only suggested 1:1 due to the size or the tank. I agree with 1:2 being ideal.

For your size tank and if you don't want loads if fry, stick to 1:1 as I originally suggested.

The complete cycle won't complete in 1-2 weeks but nobody ever waits 5-6 weeks before adding fish. The fish help the nitrogen cycle after they have been added.

Or they could just get males. I am really sorry to disagree. 1:1 will also result (most likely) in dead females due to harassment.

Yeah males would be good but females help keep aggression down.

1:1 is fine if you are only getting 2 fish of each species. So 1 male and 1 female of each type, but any more than that you need to keep more females in the group.

Welcome to AA!

Firstly, you are absolutely right that a tank needs to be cycled before adding any fish. A week to 2 weeks is best to let bacteria build in the filter media. To do this, you don't need to do anything fancy, just let it run with the heater and filter and lighting on. It's called a fishless cycle. As you are new to the hobby, I would suggest easy community fish, such as neon tetras, and you could probably stretch to guppies and mollys. The latter two are live bearers, so they breed and give birth in the tank. I recommend 1:1 ratio male to female, so 2 guppies and 2 mollys.

1. A tank doesn't cycle without an ammonia source. Just letting the tank run will do nothing.
2. I disagree with the neons, a group of 6 would not work in a 10 gallon tank. Also mollys would not work in a 10. The correct ratio for male to female is always 1m:2f.

To the OP- please read the following articles, they aren't too long and will provide tons of info

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-a...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/impor...r-those-new-to-the-Aquarium-Hobby-/Page1.html

1. A tank doesn't cycle without an ammonia source. Just letting the tank run will do nothing.
2. I disagree with the neons, a group of 6 would not work in a 10 gallon tank. Also mollys would not work in a 10. The correct ratio for male to female is always 1m:2f.

To the OP- please read the following articles, they aren't too long and will provide tons of info

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/?/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/?/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/important-information-for-those-new-to-the-aquarium-hobby/?/118/1/Important-Information-for-those-new-to-the-Aquarium-Hobby-/Page1.html

Yes, that's why you use filter start which I failed to mention.

10 galon is fine for 6 neons. No credible reason why not.

You wouldn't have much room for anything else so choose wisely. A shoaling species will mean you won't have room for much else.

And 1:1 is fine for livebearers but anything more than 2 fish per species, go with a 1:2 M:F ratio.

Yes, that's why you use filter start which I failed to mention.

10 galon is fine for 6 neons, disagree on that!

filter start still will not complete a cycle, its not ammonia. i disapprove of the use of bacteria in a bottle anywaybecause ive seen it do more harm than good. take a look at the articles i posted for the OP, full of information on cycling a tank. (y)

filter start still will not complete a cycle, its not ammonia. i disapprove of the use of bacteria in a bottle anywaybecause ive seen it do more harm than good. take a look at the articles i posted for the OP, full of information on cycling a tank. (y)

The best way is to get existing media from your local fish store or from a friend. Cut a bit and put it alongside your new media in your filter :)

The best way is to get existing media from your local fish store or from a friend. Cut a bit and put it alongside your new media in your filter :)

yes thats listed in the articles i recommended to you. it helps but is not required. you would still need an ammonia source to keep the bacteria alive. once again, see above articles,they really give good insight into the process.

If you are getting livebearers, do a 1:2 ratio. Males will constantly bother a single female and the female will become ill or die of stress. Two males is fine. But a female and a male will have a very high chance of a dead or very sick female.

Gotta be careful with all males, though. Sometimes they get territorial :/ I would definitely go with 1:2, even if you're not breeding. You can always sell the fry or let em get eaten.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/?/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/?/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/important-information-for-those-new-to-the-aquarium-hobby/?/118/1/Important-Information-for-those-new-to-the-Aquarium-Hobby-/Page1.html

Its a good idea to read these,its great you are getting advice but it can.get very confusing with your 1st tank,it certainly was for me.
10 gallon is limited as i found myself but small fish are the way to go,and a lot of them are shoalers,there are nano tetras ive seen mentioned on here,embers amd chilli rasbora i think,endlers livebearers are nice little colourful fish,only get males and maybe some pygmy corydoras catfish,corydoras catfish are a delight,they are active and so cute,they are my favourite catfish.
I had tetras in my 10 gallon in.early days i didn't know.any better they did ok but they weren't really happy.as i had 4 and they hid a lot so i do think they need plenty of space to swim about in a decent size shoal.

Back
Top Bottom