New and need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilvenom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody. Please bare with me! I have always wanted a tank, but assumed they were lots of work, etc. I also knew it would take alot of knowledge and understanding of fish, breeds,etc to know what needs what, what goes with what and so on. A very good friend of mine passed away from cancer in April. His wife gave me and my husband his tank. Its 55 gallon. Have it all set up and water temp has been maintained at 76 degrees, ph is stable around 7-7.2.
Going to a local store, that had a pretty small selection. My husband likes bigger, colorful fish, I really didnt care, just want everbody to get along! We left the store with 2 angelfish ( silver and black stripes) and a gold Gourami which the chick at the store said would be fine. Well, mister Gold has proven to be quite intimidating to the angels. He corners them, and pretty much keeps them hiding in a corner behind the rocks.
Obviously, we want more then 3 fish in there, but as i have read you should only introduce a coupple at a time as to balance the bacteria, especially in a new tank setup. So my questions are many, but especially...was she wrong? Should that Gourami not be in with the Angels? what should be in there? What are some others I can put in there that may give us a few good variations of colors, etc? Someone help! As Im sure you can tell, I know very little and it seems the more research I do, the more confusing it all gets. I just want a happy, healthy place for the fish to live and for us to enjoy. Any help is soo very much appreciated! Thanks guys, and please go easy on my ignorance! :eyes:

Welcome Aboard

This is the member introductions forum. A lot of people don't bother reading this forum on a regular basis.

If you scroll down you should see a forum called Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started. If you post your questions there you'll get a lot more people reading it and hopefully more replies to help you.

Generally fish stores are not the best place to get advice. There are exceptions, but a lot of stores are just trying to sell fish, not help you create a wonderful aquarium, and so will sell fish that don't belong together, or fish that will get too big or fish that require different water temp, the list goes on.

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? I don't have the link handy, but if you don't know about the cycle, thats the first place to start. Your fish could be in danger from ammonia poisoning and understanding what that is and how to prevent it is important.

To answer your question, I've read other aquarists describe their Gourami doing the exact same as yours, bullying other fish so they have to hid in the corner behind rocks. The Gourami will also grow to 15cm so keep that in mind. If possible I'd consider returning the Gourami.

Back
Top Bottom