new angel not eating. take him back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased two new angels and one has a voracious appetite while the other goes up to the food but never eats any. There are no physical signs of bullying and i havent seen any.
Could he have a parasite? Im wondering if i should take him back and get another.
They were in the same tank at the lfs and im assuming are brother/sister.

They also swim with each other and the non eating one looks and acts normal otherwise

for how long have you got them?
some fish just dont have appetite in the first days because they moved from another tank, how are your water parameters?
I purchased 2 guppys today and they already eat what i gave to them so i assume it depends on the fish, ive had problem of fish not eating in the first days before too.

Its been 4 days.
I just tested my water 5 mins ago and they were:
amm-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-20 ( i swear the colors for 10 and 20 are the same)

Water isnt the problem then.
I dont have much experience with angelfish behave but i would not keep him, if hes not eating for more than 6 or 7 days.
whats the tank size?

Same thing happened to me with a pair of angels give him a week or so that's how long it took my angel to start eating. Their fine just picky sometimes.

i raise angels and every time i move them they don't eat for 2 days . so its kinda up to you im sure it will eat soon. i would call the lfs u got them from and explain whats happening se if he will trade or just keep trying.

I think ill wait til this thursday and take him back if hes not eating by then, thanks

Just wait. It'll start eating. Taking it back to the lfs is the last thing it needs. It'll be another new situation. Give it time to get used to its new surroundings. Fish can go a long time--anywhere from two weeks to a month without eating since they are cold-blooded.

call the lfs and ask what food they were feeding. he might need time to adapt if your food is different.

Yes, i know they can go a long time.
And alright ill do that, maybe try other things like bloodworms

tarpon said:
Yes, i know they can go a long time.
And alright ill do that, maybe try other things like bloodworms

I agree with trying different foods, it may get him to eat. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom