New Angel Owner Freaking Out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea-note

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just purchased some half-black Angels - my first Angels. The first 4 days were uneventful and they look great - still do. However, they scared me last night. Please forgive me - this may be nothing...

Two or three of them kept going to the top of the tank and sucking air. There are 12 other fish in the tank and none of the others are exhibiting this behavior, but I thought it odd that the Angels were doing it. Is this normal for them, or is something about to go horribly wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Is this in the 60g tank? Did you check your water parameters? How many angels did you add? You might be having an ammonia spike that is making it hard for them.

Good question. I checked the parameters last Thursday just before I put them in the tank and everything checked out fine. I have not checked the parameters since then and I probably should have since I did a water change yesterday afternoon.

I'll post what I find out tonight.

Thanks!

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10
PH = 6.2 (steady)

They did it again last night, but only after the lights went out. They appear to be fine, I'm just wondering where this behavior comes from.

Your parameters seem fine. Again, how many angels did you add? My angels go to the top occasionally and are especially active at the top while feeding but they don't just hang out at the top "sucking air". How long has tank been set up, again? By your signature, it doesn't seem like the tank could be overcrowded...hmmm...how old/big are the new angels?

sea
If you're using CO2, you might turn it off at night.
The plants don't use it at night and the levels may elevate.
My angels are extremely sensitive to CO2.
Charles

The tank has been set up for 4 months now. I added 4, half dollar sized angels. They were supposed to be quarter sized, but they arrived much larger. The tank is definitely not overcrowded.

Charles, I do not use CO2. I'd like to, it's just way too expensive.

Well, it might just be normal behavior becaues the tank is not overstocked in the least. Maybe it is just their way of being kinda nervous in a new tank??? Anyone else??

Seanote

I’m in the same boat.
We have a LOT of medical expensis and I can’t justify a pressurized
CO2 setup yet.
So I have DIY, it’s a pain in the “como se llama” (Spanish).
But the plants are growing well since I started it.
Here are some pics of my 46 gallon angel tank:
http://gs69.photobucket.com/groups/i60/7NOBMDJJ0N/

BTW, do you think you have too much livestock in the 50 G?
I was just wondering, I don’t know what your filtering setup is, but
you have a lot of bio-load in my opinion.

Last July I bought 6 angels and two ABN's for my 46.
The angels grew large and started going territorial on me.
They are now one year old and measure 8” tall from fin tip to fin tip.
So, I gave two of them to a friend.
Good luck with your angels
Charles

Do you know where the DIY CO2 instructions are? I tried searching, but the search "feature" will not let me search 3-letter words.

Ingredients:

(a) 2 cups sugar
(b) 1 tsp baking soda
(c) 1/2 tsp yeast (regular dry baker's yeast is ok)

Instructions:

#1 Start with a small cup or bowl and add a small amount of lukewarm water and a pinch or two of sugar.

Mix in the yeast with a fork until the water is bubbly. This will help to "activate" dry yeast by adding oxygen, preventing mass die-offs that occur if you just dump the yeast into the water.

Let this sit while you prepare the container, or for at least 10 minutes, and stir every few minutes to keep the water oxygenated.

#2 Rinse out your container if you have used it before to remove all traces of alcohol and fill it about 2/3 of the way with lukewarm water.

Use a funnel to add the 2 cups sugar and the baking soda to the water in the container.

Shake it gently to dissolve the sugar.

#3 Wait about 10 minutes or so then pour the yeast and water into the container using a funnel.

Scew the lid on and it should start producing CO2 in a few hours.

NOTE: If you don't have any CO2 after about 12 hours, you've probably either got bad yeast or a leak.

Condensed version of: http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/diy-co2-recipe-duration-vs-intensity.html

There are a bunch of opinions on the best recipe.
You may try a search on AA for “CO2 recipe”.

Here’s a couple:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/42393-best-diy-co2-recepie.html

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/25592-wet-thumb-forum-diy-yeast-co2.html

I use two cups of sugar in ½ gallon of 90 degree water, add a bit of baking soda,
and ½ tsp of yeast. I use two 1 gallon bottles and change one a week.
That way you get a consistant flow of CO2. I also inject the CO2 into the intake of my XP2 canister in order to diffuse the bubbles.

I noticed that some say your bio load is OK. My experience is that Plecos add a lot of waste to the aquarium.

Charles

My angel "sucks air" whenever he sees me walk up to the tank. That usually means he is hungry. I'm assuming you mean it is taking air in through its mouth and blowing bubbles out their gills. If so, mine does that all the time. I think its his way of saying I'm starving!!! Feed me! :)

Back
Top Bottom