New Angelfish pics - clamped tail fin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just realized that two of your questions went unanswered cJw! Your angel is a koi, similar to the one's I had linked to you in your dwarf angel thread.

The other was regarding breeding (which I'm attempting now). Here's some basics:

Use pH of 7.0 and a higher temperature of 25-28°C(76-79d). The eggs are laid on broad leaved plants, or the front glass. With appropriate pairs, Angelfish are not hard to breed.

From Fishprofiles.com

What's missing from here is that once a mated pair is formed, you should remove other angels to prevent agression as the new pair will begin to become extremely territorial.

sorry guys I should have looked at the earlier pictures closer.. as far as its health is concerned, it looks very healthy. little tears are normal in fins.. previous tankmates, rubbing up against things that do a little damage.. usually this causes no harm and does not need to be treated with anything in my opinion. I dont add salt or medication until Im certain that there is something wrong and I can tell what exactly is wrong.. If I know that there is something wrong and dont know what it is the best measure to take is to increase maintainance, more frequent pwc's keeping things cleaner than normal.. hope this helps.. :D

Jchillin - I was actually wanting to know how to get them not to breed. . . so I would never have to deal with spawning/aggressive angelfish if I decided to get a 'tank mate' for 'Lefty'. :p

Good avice, greenmagi, thanks for the post! :)

Is that why the word not was capitalized? Sorry bout that...I kinda skipped over the word for some reason. :oops:

The easiest way is to not introduce a female, which isn't easy. While they are juveniles, this won't matter.

So two males would get along fine?

Maybe it's better to ask if two angels would work out at all. . . regardless of the sex. :|

Well...angels have a preference for being "King of the tank". It is always better to introduce all at once. Since yours is new to the tank, I would get another/more as soon as possible.

Glad the tail is unclamping! When t here is a prob in my fish i usually just add a small amount of salt and the problem usually fixes itself.

Jchillin said:
Well...angels have a preference for being "King of the tank". It is always better to introduce all at once. Since yours is new to the tank, I would get another/more as soon as possible.

Right, so if two males (or two fems?) grew up together, they would (theoretically) get along fine?

Of course, I'm sure I'd end up with a male and fem, what with Murphy and all, and then I'd have to make sure they didn't spawn, or want to. Hrm. More trouble than it's worth? :sigh:

I just need more tanks. It's that simple. :lol: :D

From my what i have read and heard, angels prefer to be in the company of their own to be at their best so I'm curious to see how he does on his own.

Well, he's looking kind of slow this morning; I'll have to watch him closely today - like I wasn't already, lol.

Some of the things I observed in "strange" angelfish behavior:

1. Staying at the surface, appearing to be looking for something and ignoring food.
2. Staying at the bottom, listing sideways (not the usual "sleep" position)

When I've observed this, a quick PWC seems to have worked. No other signs or indications of disease followed.

HTH.

Well, he was 'looking for something' at the surface last night, about 12 hours after I'd done a pwc. :|

This morning he was moving slow, but out and about and no longer hiding, so my hopes were up!

Until about 30 minutes ago. . . he started spiraling on the bottom of the tank and then stopping completely - upside down. He stopped moving entirely a couple minutes ago. :cry:

Am I cursed?

I tested my water and all seems in order - nitrates are around 15, no amm, no nitrites, and all other fish seem happy. I'm trying to blame it on the lfs I got him from - parasite, something. . . I feel bad for the other angels in his tank if that was the case, and even worse for the poor saps who are going to buy them.

I don't know what to do. . . I'm going to my fav. lfs this afternoon and having them double check my water for me. :?

Back
Top Bottom