New Angelfish Question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UABsleeperSRNA

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i bought bought two new angelfish yesterday! Their beautiful fish i got a Gold veil and Marble Veil Angelfish! Their beautiful fish both looked to be the healthiest in the tank when i purchased them no nipped fin's, good color no clamped gill's ect.. size i would say is between nickel and quarter size. After getting them in the tank last night i noticed that the gold angel has a single small white dot on the very bottom of it's caudal fin.. i'm concerned about ich.. should i be concerned? and how should i go about treating them.. i have treated fish with ich before with medications and found this to be very stressful on the fish and biological filter.. I want to stress the angelfish as little as possible esp since i'm sure they are already stressed to the max in a new tank? i was thinking just trying to turn the temp up slowly what are your thought's any help is greatly appreciated...

BTW..Both fish purchased yesterday are in my 10 gallon Quarantine which has an airstone and aqueon 10 quiet flow filter.. the tank is cycled from other fish that are now in my main tank which is a 40g.

-Oh and these are the first Angelfish i have owned.. so any advice on getting them to eat in a new environment? i bought marineland color enhancing tropical flakes and freeze dried bloodworms.. what are yall's thought's on this Again thanks in advance for the help and i hope y'all are having a great sunday

You could begin gradually raising the temperature up to 86 or 87. This is the only thing I have ever needed to cure ich in tropical fish. However, one single white spot might be jumping the gun but slowly raising the temp to 86 will in no way stress the angels. Some breeders keep their grow out tanks at such temperatures to increase growth and metabolism of the angelfish.

Freeze dried blood worms have little nutritional value as I understand it. A common practice is to soak them in vitamin water. I would stick with the flakes for now. At first it may seem that they won't eat in their new tank. Just give them a little time and they'll come around.

Awesome thanks yeah I may be jumping the gun but have had bad experiences with ich in the past.. When I first started in the hobby I had ich wipe out my entire tank.. Guess I reacted to late.. But I have since gotten a quarantine tank and become a lot more cautious with the fish I do buy! Thanks for the reply I have started raising the temp and will just keep an eye on them.. they look good for now..

Back
Top Bottom