New Aquarium Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently acquired a new 25 gallon tank (24 x 12 x 20) and have decided to use it to fulfill a dream of mine- a setup featuring rummy nose tetras. I currently have three established tanks (all planted) and, while not an expert, consider myself fairly experienced. I would like for this to be a planted tank as well and may take a little from my overgrown 170 gallon. Here is a potential stocking...

- 11 rummy nose tetras
- 6 Cory cats of a yet undecided species
- A couple of snails
- A single/pair/small group of some compatible centerpiece species

I haven't settled on the centerpiece species for this community. I've been considering dwarf gourami or rams. Does anyone have any suggestions, similar or otherwise? Also, does anyone have aquascaping ideas that would make these species most comfortable? When aquascaping, my thought is that the comfort of your particular fish species should determine the design above all else.

Thank you!

I’m not fond of the concept of centerpiece fish as most all fish are happier in groups. Plus one of a kind is not very attractive, imho.

I’m not fond of the concept of centerpiece fish as most all fish are happier in groups. Plus one of a kind is not very attractive, imho.

By "centerpiece species" I mean a fish that isn't as fond of living in large groups (a species that would be content in a pair, perhaps) and is at least slightly larger than the rummy nose tetras or occupies a different part of the water column. Most fish are social in some respect (except my betta who hates all living things and many non-living things) but not all want the company of a dense shoal in a small space. I would only be interested in keeping a single individual of a species if it were particularly intolerant of it's own kind.

How about Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)?

They're an attractive small (3") and non-aggressive cichlid that's ok alone, in a pair or small group.

Back
Top Bottom