New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be sure to check out your local mom & pop fish store and Petco for the best FM prices. Petsmart in my area was selling them for seven bucks a peice. That's outrageous. I paid $2.99, For both of my pictured FM's. #1 from a mom & pop, #2 From Petco.

There is a lot of color variation in FM's. Some have intense color, some are dull. Be selective.

Oh wow that's a good price, I was just at my LFS for the emperor tetras but they didn't have any firemouths in stock

As long as you get a small one they should be fine. A lot of people wouldn't put neon tetras with angel fish cause that's shark bait. But I did. Lol! everybody has got along for along time now. And my angels are all full size. Angel fish are a beautiful center piece. You could get a betta just don't get one with a big tail.[emoji16]

I would love to get angels but I don't like how they look alone and I don't want to risk getting a pair if I get more than 2

A pair of Pearl Gouramis would make a lovely addition and add size and style to tank.
They are among the most peaceful of gouramis and I consider them the 'champagne of gouramis '....They are a colorful fish when grown out...

Oh yeah I've definitely had my eye on those for a while, I just haven't been able to get them

I came home and found 2 of the emperor tetras dead but the others seem to be doing fine and all of the fish are eating, I'm hoping it was just those two weren't doing too great and not something wrong with the rest of them. I'll keep you all updated!

Unusual to find 2 at once. Check you water perameters.
I came home and found 2 of the emperor tetras dead but the others seem to be doing fine and all of the fish are eating, I'm hoping it was just those two weren't doing too great and not something wrong with the rest of them. I'll keep you all updated!

Did you just get them recently?

Yep I got them this Thursday. The emperor tetras in the tank next to them in the store weren't looking too great which is why I got these ones. But the system connected the tanks so maybe it has something to do with that?

Yep I got them this Thursday. The emperor tetras in the tank next to them in the store weren't looking too great which is why I got these ones. But the system connected the tanks so maybe it has something to do with that?
Yes it could have something to do with that. Most good aquarium shops use UV sterilizers to keep from spreading pathogens between tanks, but not all of them do. They also don't clean individual tanks before dumping in a new shipment.

I agree. Bought 3 blue Gouramis from there, 1 male ans 2 females. Male killed females because he bothered them so much that each hid in corners and starved themselves to death... Not Petsmart's fault. But then male died from hole in the head disease. I had to treat my whole tank to keep other fish from getting it.
never buy fish at petsmart!!!

Yes it could have something to do with that. Most good aquarium shops use UV sterilizers to keep from spreading pathogens between tanks, but not all of them do. They also don't clean individual tanks before dumping in a new shipment.

Yeah I'm down to 5 emperor tetras but everyone is doing great

I agree. Bought 3 blue Gouramis from there, 1 male ans 2 females. Male killed females because he bothered them so much that each hid in corners and starved themselves to death... Not Petsmart's fault. But then male died from hole in the head disease. I had to treat my whole tank to keep other fish from getting it.

Yeah I normally wouldn't advise it but I've been buying from this petsmart for years and haven't had any problems with fish from there

Update: I bought 3 more corydoras, 4 more rosy tetras, and 2 flag cichlids (laetacara curviceps). Since I now have 6 bottoms sweeping cichlids I added a few more rocks to make more cave-ish territories and moved some things around to create more "territories"
Current stocking as follows:
5x rainbow emperor tetras (Nematobrycon lacortei)
11x corydora aeneus
12x white tip rosy tetras (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus)
4x Bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
2x Flag cichlids (Laetacara curviceps)
1x clown pleco
1x bristlenose pleco

Can anyone see any problems with this? I am hoping to pair up at least a pair of the Bolivian rams and hopefully the flag cichlids (it's a male and female but I didn't want to get a huge group and wait for a pair so I'm crossing my fingers) and then once I go back to college I'll bring one of the pairs with me and one of the plecos

Petsmart is a business chain. It has managers that hire employees. Their are no requirements for for aquatic science. I have a friend that was hired to bag fish. He still knows nothing about the nitrogen cycle and doesn't understand how Anabantoids like bettas and Gouramis can drown. Most employees in fish sections are just that...fish baggers. Not every store in a specific chain is going to be the same.
Yeah I normally wouldn't advise it but I've been buying from this petsmart for years and haven't had any problems with fish from there

Petsmart is a business chain. It has managers that hire employees. Their are no requirements for for aquatic science. I have a friend that was hired to bag fish. He still knows nothing about the nitrogen cycle and doesn't understand how Anabantoids like bettas and Gouramis can drown. Most employees in fish sections are just that...fish baggers. Not every store in a specific chain is going to be the same.

Very good point

Back
Top Bottom