New Aquired 55 Gallon - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigCDubya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey AA members, yet another update on my aquarium obsession. Was scopping out Kijiji.ca the other day and found what I like to think is a sweet deal. I picked me up a 55 gallon tank with stand and tons of extras that will replace my current 30 gallon tall.
For $150.00 CAN I got the following;
- 55 Gallon Aquarium with fluorescent canopies
- Metal Tube Stand
- Marineland Penguin Power Filter 350 with a 3 pack of media
- 2 Aquaclear 200’s (1 new in box still) With new media
- 35 ft. Python Gravel Cleaner
- 2 heaters
- 3 fish food ( 2 unopened)
- Water conditioner
- 50 Pounds + of gravel

- And lots of plastic plants and 2 rock decorations

So I’m just in the process of cleaning everything, I will keep you all posted with pictures as I go. So please feel free to follow along.

So The day after I posted this I was given the day off work, so I got to work and just cleaned and cleaned forgetting to take pics along the way so here it is cleaned and set up. It was a mess, lots of vinegar, a razor blade and some elbow grease and it looked like new. Took all day, got to try my python for the first time, works so great, I don’t miss my buckets.

I had to give away two angelfish as they were bullying everything in the tank. I picked up 3 small sunburst platies from my lfs since my last thread. Today I picked up the following new fish as well as a new piece of driftwood. I got 2 Pearl Gouramis, 2 Tri Colour platies and 1 Pineapple Sword Tail. The pictures are from the other day so they are not in these pictures. I will post them probably tomorrow. So here is my updated list.
- 2 Angelfish
- 2 Pearl Gouramis
- 1 Orange Swordtail
- 1 Pineapple Swordtail
- 1 Red Wag Platy
- 2 Tri Colour Platies
- 3 Sunburst Platys
- 2 Blue Platies
- 2 Fancy Guppies
Let me know what you all think. Also I will post a video later on.

Attachments

• DSCN0279.jpg
    DSCN0279.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0264.jpg
    DSCN0264.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0263.jpg
    DSCN0263.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0278.jpg
    DSCN0278.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 149
BigCDubya said:
I didnt think I had to cycle it because Im using my existing filter and put old media out of a different filter or the new one.

That speeds up the cycle... That doesn't mean that it's done. Nice tank though.

I really like the video! Very nice! :D

I do agree w/ Homedog though. Adding seeded media to a 55g tank doesn't automatically cycle it. However, I was able to do an auto cycle w/ my 10g because I added seeded media, a few decorative items, and 5 gallons of water from my 55g tank.

Have you tested the water yet? I'm really curious to know where you're at on your water parameters. And no, I'm not the lecturing type. lol But it sounds like you're going to have a long road ahead of you.

BigCDubya said:
So The day after I posted this I was given the day off work, so I got to work and just cleaned and cleaned forgetting to take pics along the way so here it is cleaned and set up. It was a mess, lots of vinegar, a razor blade and some elbow grease and it looked like new. Took all day, got to try my python for the first time, works so great, I don’t miss my buckets.

I had to give away two angelfish as they were bullying everything in the tank. I picked up 3 small sunburst platies from my lfs since my last thread. Today I picked up the following new fish as well as a new piece of driftwood. I got 2 Pearl Gouramis, 2 Tri Colour platies and 1 Pineapple Sword Tail. The pictures are from the other day so they are not in these pictures. I will post them probably tomorrow. So here is my updated list.
- 2 Angelfish
- 2 Pearl Gouramis
- 1 Orange Swordtail
- 1 Pineapple Swordtail
- 1 Red Wag Platy
- 2 Tri Colour Platies
- 3 Sunburst Platys
- 2 Blue Platies
- 2 Fancy Guppies
Let me know what you all think. Also I will post a video later on.

Nice tank

Back
Top Bottom