New arrivals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The bf ordered me 10 ottos, 10 Amano shrimp, 2 purple passion danios, 2 galaxy rasboras.

DOA: 1 Otto, 1 galaxy

How do I acclimate them? I don't think they can all go in qt because the qt is only 10g. Drip?

So far the 3 danios are in a large mixing bowl and the shrimp and ottos are in an other. I'm thinking just the 3 danios in qt and the algea eaters go in to the 180 right away since the qt doesn't really have much food. I did put some food in with them for the time being while I figure this out.

Sent from my iPhone

Just keep a very close check on the QT water conditions. Change water as often and as much as needed to prevent ammonia issues. Otos and many shrimp do benefit from dripping, but too late now, so hope for the best. I hope the QT has a cycled filter on it?

Be aware losing Otos is pretty much inevitable, they are obligate algae eaters that need gut bacteria to digest the algae. Their bacteria die off between getting caught and then shipped. Most will not eat man made food. Any that're still alive after two months, chances are good they'll be ok. Sadly, they are a very poor choice for a tank that has not been well established for at least six months, and they need an ongoing supply of soft, surface growing algaes. Only some algaes that show up in tanks are suitable for Otos. They can survive on biofilm for some time in the absence of algae, but may not live a normal life span that way.

Danios are tough, should do ok. The raboras should be ok, but are a very small fish. If they feel vulnerable, they will hide. They need plenty of plants, or rocks, or wood or decor to break up sight lines between males, who will challenge each other. All the fish you mention do best in groups of six or more, just FYI. If you plan to have much larger fish later, fish like the rasboras may become food.

Very good you did QT, single best step to avoid losses due to parasites or illness. I trust the 180 has been cycled already ? Best to QT for at least a month, to be certain nothing is brooding with new additions.

The shrimp won't be carrying anything that can affect fish so they would be ok in the main tank if is ready .

The 180 is cycled with an algae issue. And I have a school of 12 danios in there now so these 3 (the rasbora is actually a danio according to my research) so I was hoping they would join the others

My qt has been pretty stable but not as established as I would like.

They were in that tank three hours and four shrimp molted two died and it was just a mess. The shrimp kept poking the ottos and that tiny galaxy was so scared. The two bigger danios were swimming laps.

I decided to take the risk because I was worried about the ottos not getting enough to eat and put all the ottos into the big tank, same with the two big danios. I thought the smaller danio would fit in with my four month old fry so he went in to the 20g with the five babies.

The shrimp stay in qt since they seem happy with the algae tabs. I'm worried the ottos would have no chance in the qt tank because of it's lack of actual algae. In the 180 they got busy cleaning the plants! So fingers crossed. The rasbora schooled right up with the babies. I hope he grows!

Thanks for the help. Sorry I didn't take the advice. :( usually I do. But this time I had to go with my gut.

Sent from my iPhone

We all have to do the best we can based on what we do or don't know and what we have to work with at the time. Hope all goes as well as can be hoped for.

Rasbora and Danio are related but not the same. 'galaxy Rasbora' has been reclassified 3 x since its discovery, now called Danio margaritas us, sorry, blasted spellcheck insists on not letting me type the last part of that name properly.

Originally called Celestial Pearl Danio, then Galaxy Rasbora, now back in with Danio. Makes it hard to keep up sometimes.

So far every one made it through the night. The little danio-rasbora seems to come out of it's shell.

Those big danios are having a blast. They really are a "more the merrier" species! They really are schooling it's fun to watch. Don't think they're intimidated... It's like they're doing a complicated group dance number.

The ottos have been hanging out in the plants. But I only see two or three at a time.

Shrimp... Are shrimp haha. No more deaths so far.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom