New Baby Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i have a 10 gallon tank that is my main fish tank right now. For Christmas i am going to get either a 20 or a 30 gallon tank which is going to be my new main tank and the 10 gallon tank is going to be the breeder. These are questions i have about changeing my 10 gal into a breeder:
  • I want what i should put on the filter so the eggs\fry dont get sucked up into it.
  • Should keep the type of flooring have (gravel), should i change it, or should i have none at all?
  • I also want to know if i should keep my silk plant in their, get real ones, or have none at all?
  • Should i keep the small heater in the tank?
  • What food should i give them since they are so small?
  • Also i want to move the female into the tank so she can have her babys in their, and them move her back to the regular tank, but will it be too stressful for her?
  • The fish i am breeding right now is white cloud Mt. minnows but i might breed neon tertas and cory cats as well.
  • Last but not least the main goal for me is to keep as many fish alive as i can.
Any and all replys will be appreciated. :) Thank you.

A sponge filter is great for fry tanks. Another idea is to cover the inlet of a HOB filter with either a clean piece of panty hose or the bio-media bags you can get a pets stores.

Gravel is a personal preference. You can still get the beneficial bacteria growing in your filter (again sponges are great), on decor etc.

Plants of any kind, silk or real will help the fish keep from freaking out.

Depending on the fry(live bearers vs egg layers), crushed flake works, some egg layers can be fed using powdered egg yolk.

Using a heater is a good idea.

Moving the female can be stressful, but better than putting her in a breeder trap. Make sure you slowly acclimate her to the new tank, that helps a lot.

Hey wolffish,
I'm trying to keep as many mollies as possible (that is why im MollyMaster) but anyway maybe youcan try wat i do, first never use a breeders net except for only putting the babies n after u catch them, i have only heard about the sponge filter but i never used it and never had any problems with that and the babies but that doesn't mean it doesn't do anyhting, i never move the female i only move babies, plety of floating plants, yes to heater, cory cats use big gravel or pebbles for the eggs to fall through or they will all be eaten

Thanks i plan on breeding endlers, platys, cory cats, and white clouds with me and my sister. But this is only happining after i get my bigger 29 gal up and running.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom