New betta and possible problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a betta 3 days ago with penguin tetras to go in my tank with my neons and cardinals.

Problem is, he hasn’t ate, to my knowledge! I have tried hakari micro pellets and sinking pellets, the tetras are enthusiastic and woof them down but the betta, when I throw the food in his direction, either misses them or gets one and spits it back out, I’m going to try blood worm tomorrow, but then I’m at a loss, I’m worried the rest are eating too much as a result of me trying to get the betta to eat!

Can anyone help?IMG_3549.jpgIMG_3585.jpgIMG_3583.jpg

The pictures above ^ are the day after I got him, the pictures below are 2 days later IMG_3595.jpgIMG_3596.jpg

could be all the other fish are faster than him and are eating all his food. Are you feeding him betta specific food? They can be fussy eaters.

I’ve gave them the food, then threw some in front of him. I haven’t got betta specific food and my lfs doesn’t stock any, I’ve tried both types of pellets I’ve got and nothing yet

Your store carries the fish but not the food? The bloodworms should work, you could also try daphnia, or brine shrimp as well.

Yeah I know [emoji849] I wouldn’t buy fish from them again, as had a lot of fish from there that have died not long after I got them for example, my last betta! This one is from a more reputable store but I can’t get there as I don’t have transport. With the food you have mentioned, can I feed my tetras that? And I assume you can only feed them as a treat, not a daily thing?

Maybe try dumping your dry food at the same time as thawed bloodworms. Even if the food hits the bottom the Betta should get it.

UPDATE: day 4 and still not eating!

I was going to fast the fish today, but when I went near the tank, my betta looked interested and swam to where the hatch is. I decided to feed a flake instead to see if that would do it, as soon as I put the flake in, he swam away and the tetra ate it all [emoji35] I have now ordered the food that the fish store fed him to see if he just prefers that! The pic is of the food I tried today IMG_0001.jpg

The bloodworms and daphnia? Bettas can eat live foods everyday instead of pellets. Not sure about tetras, as long as it's not too much your feeding them it should be ok.

This is what the this shop has been feeding him, I’ve ordered it, but will have to wait till mid week so I will give them blood worm tomorrow IMG_3603.JPG

UPDATE: so I fed bloodworms today, he was looking enthusiastic again, put the bloodworms in and he swam away [emoji35] got some back out and literally had to place them in front of him, he looked for a few seconds then ate 2, yes 2 little ones! [emoji123]

This is so annoying, how long can he go with little food? Apart from that, he’s very active, how is he not hungry?

I have a video, but it won’t give me the option to put it on here

That's a good sign. They can go around 10 days without food.... probably two weeks. Just continue to look for disease just in case.

That’s longer than I thought, let’s just hope, when his food comes that he is used to, he will eat better

UPDATE ON MUSHU THE FUSSY BETTA: DAY 12-
He has now discovered the coral and barrel on the left side of the tank, and it’s HIS! [emoji23] I panicked this miorning when I found him in the barrel ( he is normally at the front of the tank glass surfing) I thiught he was ill because he would go between the barrel and the coral! I decided to use a turkey baster and squirt bloodworms in his direction! Shock horror, he gobbled them down and hunted for about 20 minutes for more!
IMG_3823.jpgIMG_3822.jpgIMG_3821.jpgIMG_3820.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom