New Betta breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
this might go in a different part, if it does sorry and feel free to move it..

Anyone heard of Elephant Ear Bettas? never seen them before. I hate to say it. they looked really nice. Different. Anyone else know about these? I wouldnt buy it from PetCo where I saw one. But I wouldnt mind one, unless its hard for them to swim, Genetic problems.. stuff like that?

KevinM said:
this might go in a different part, if it does sorry and feel free to move it..

Anyone heard of Elephant Ear Bettas? never seen them before. I hate to say it. they looked really nice. Different. Anyone else know about these? I wouldnt buy it from PetCo where I saw one. But I wouldnt mind one, unless its hard for them to swim, Genetic problems.. stuff like that?

I see them from time to time at my petsmart and petco too, I think they're really neat. I don't know enough about bettas to comment further though, hope someone can give more info!

bettaowner said:
They are a new varient and they are very expensive.

Not at petco haha, I think I remember seeing a 12 dollar price tag, I could be wrong or they priced them wrong though

bettaowner said:
I don't see the difference between this breed and the halfmoon betta.

As in you don't see the why someone would spend extra for an elephant ear or don't see the differences between the two breeds? The elephant ear is basically a half moon except with extended and colorful pectoral fins

I've seen them listed on a local stores website.

Well actually it's listed as "Dumbo ear halfmoon betta" but it's the same thing.

Cost is 60 bucks plus shipping.

The dumbo ear name is from the larger than normal pectoral fins. They do make it harder for the fish to swim. They get tired easier and don't swim as fast or as much. I don't imagine you'd want to try them in too large of a tank or with much of a current at all or they would probably have problems. Other than that though from everything I've read they are exactly the same, no added health problems or anything.

The only one I saw at petco today didnt even have a price lol.

It was a really nice looking fish. I just wasnt sure if it something along the lines like the balloon mollies, something they did and is really bad for the fish. But with them being in the cup you cant really tell if the larger fins hurt or not.

The only one I saw at petco today didnt even have a price lol.

It was a really nice looking fish. I just wasnt sure if it something along the lines like the balloon mollies, something they did and is really bad for the fish. But with them being in the cup you cant really tell if the larger fins hurt or not.

I don't think it's anything like that. I think it's more special breeding to allow the long fins. It's so hard to get a good look at them too in those little cups. I've been debating a betta for a little while and every time I see them in the store it's hard to get a feel, they are so floppy looking because they can't even move. Hard to even see their colors with that blue crap they have them in.

Elephant Ear

Hi Kevin, We purchased a beautiful male elephant ear betta last Tuesday (2/19). We are very happy with him and he seems very happy in his bowl. We have him in just over 2 liters of water in a 1.5 gallon bowl with small rocks at the bottom, a small live plant, and an artificial leaf fish hammock. The hammock was by far the best purchase because he loves it and uses it often. We placed it 3/4" below the water surface as indicated on the directions and he seems very happy there; he sleeps in it every night and during the day he alternates between resting in his hammock or on the rocks at the bottom of the bowl. He is very active and is especially beautiful when he swims. His "elephant ears" flap vigorously when he's darting through the bowl, and fold along his sides when he's resting. We purchased him at Petco for $19.99. Although he was the most expensive fish in the store, we have enjoyed him so much it has been worth every penny. If you decide on an elephant ear, I'm sure you'll be very pleased as well. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom