New Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aurora

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a Betta this weekend. I have her set up in a 5 gallon tank with filter and heater. Concerned about it being a new tank and not cycled. I came here to seek advice and help along the way.
I have been wanting a white betta for 6 years and I just couldn’t bring myself to purchase one having it shipped. I just happened to be in a local pet store and there she was (he, is a she to me). Even more beautiful than I had imagined with a pink and blue sheen to her fins, iridescent. Anyhow, she came home immediately. I have had freshwater fish in the past, it’s been years though. Never a betta. Until now.

Hi! I'm new at the entire fish-keeping thing, but I actually got into it with a betta. From my understanding, it's obviously not ideal to have a tank that isn't cycled when you purchase the fish. That being said, I did do this and my betta has done very, very well. I did have a bloom (my son may or may not have fed the fish when I wasn't looking), but I did a 30% change, followed by a 20% change a week later. It cleared up and the tank looks great. In fact, I just bought a blue and white betta on Sunday. I couldn't resist. You said you had fish before, so I assume you bought some water conditioner?

If you could get some established filter media from someone or the store where you bought it and put it in your filter it would speed up the cycling . Otherwise , get an ammonia test kit and test daily , do 50% water changes to keep ammonia below .25ppm .You should get an API master test kit cause you should monitor Nitrite and Nitrate till cycled . Search here or the web for fish in cycling/nitrogen cycle for the most info . A live plant or 2 will help also . Good luck .

Do a 50% water change every 3 days to make sure the water doesn't foul on you.

Buy an API freshwater master test kit. Test the water every 2-3 days. You can set up a water change schedule easier if you know what the water is doing.

Back
Top Bottom