New Build/Journal: 2G-Iwagumi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: 1/3

Some of the Crypts have melted a bit, but I'm guessing that's due to the change of water parameters from one tank to the other. I'm sure they'll bounce back though. However, the Dwarf Lilys are doing great and the growth is amazing for just 2 weeks.

Overall, I'm happy with new scape and the way it's turning out.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 106
  • image_5.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 94
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391111017.340012.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391111041.416728.jpg

Update: Preliminary Stocking 1/28

Originally, I planned on stocking this tank with Sparkling Gourami, Dario Dario, and some Caradina Japonica, but when I went to a LFS near my office to check it out, I happened to see these guys. So now this tank will be my first shrimp tank :)

So, the current residents are:

1 ghost shrimp
3 red cherry shrimp

Depending on how they do, I may add a few more RCS's. My goal is that through this, I can better my knowledge and experience with shrimp, for when I setup my ada mini s, eventually..

Great looking rescape! The rimless cubes just look SO elegant. The dwarf lily was a perfect fit for your scape. I'm subscribed and following. I need to know how your shrimp do as I might get a few for keeping my Glosso clean. OS.

Nice Pico cube. Have the same setup myself. Luckily mine survived being knocked over when I had an apartment fire not too long ago. Just goes to show these little aquatop cubes are quality built. I think the archea light is an elegant piece, too. Following :)

Great looking rescape! The rimless cubes just look SO elegant. The dwarf lily was a perfect fit for your scape. I'm subscribed and following. I need to know how your shrimp do as I might get a few for keeping my Glosso clean. OS.

Thanks Old Scales! I know, I'm really loving this cube aquarium. I could never go back to standard glass and non-rimless tanks. In fact, I may get just get another one and I thought the dwarf was a perfect fit as well. I'm really happy with how it's filled out.

So far the shrimp are doing ok, going on day 4 and still kicking. I'll let you know how they do, for sure. I'll also try to post, somewhat, regular updates on how the shrimp and over all tank are doing.

Thanks for following :D

Nice Pico cube. Have the same setup myself. Luckily mine survived being knocked over when I had an apartment fire not too long ago. Just goes to show these little aquatop cubes are quality built. I think the archea light is an elegant piece, too. Following :)

Thanks Brian! I'll have to check out your tank again, I think I remember that you had rescaped it, right?

Sorry about the fire, I saw that on your post, but I'm glad you tank survived the fire, what a little survivor! But, I def agree with you, it goes to show the quality of these tanks.

I'm pretty happy with light, I was actually going another one, but it seems they're out of stock and will not be restocking them, bummer.

Thanks for following Brian (y)

Did you have to add or set up anything special for the shrimp? OS.

Not really, the only "extra" thing that I did was add a prefilter sponge to my hob filter to prevent shrimp from being sucked into the intake and if they do breed, which I'm hoping they do, it will also prevent the same for the shrimplets.

But, this is my first shrimp tank, so there is a chance I missed something, but from what I've read, I should be good to go.

If you can - I would suggest reading as much as you can about the shrimp species you would like to add to your tank, just so you know their diet, water parameters, habits, etc. There are a lot of good resources out there and, of course, some great ones here on AA (y)

If I may ask - What are the specs of the tank you want to add shrimp to?...just out of curiosity..

The shrimp would be for my 29 gallon that I just did a rescape on. I have planted Glossostima E. to be a carpet plant across most of the bottom. I'll also have about four cascades of moss. Methinks the shrimp could do a good job of keeping all those fine little leaves clean. Plus, just be fun to watch. All my fish are small tetras with corys. OS.

The shrimp would be for my 29 gallon that I just did a rescape on. I have planted Glossostima E. to be a carpet plant across most of the bottom. I'll also have about four cascades of moss. Methinks the shrimp could do a good job of keeping all those fine little leaves clean. Plus, just be fun to watch. All my fish are small tetras with corys. OS.

I think they would do a fine job. From what I've read, shrimp love plants like that and mosses, as microorganisms and algae grow on them more easily and then the shrimp feed on them.

And yes, shrimp are fun to watch. I love how they flutter through the water. So cool!

Thanks Brian! I'll have to check out your tank again, I think I remember that you had rescaped it, right?

Sorry about the fire, I saw that on your post, but I'm glad you tank survived the fire, what a little survivor! But, I def agree with you, it goes to show the quality of these tanks.

I'm pretty happy with light, I was actually going another one, but it seems they're out of stock and will not be restocking them, bummer.

Thanks for following Brian (y)

So were you getting another light for another build?

Here was my 2g journal.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/brians-2-11g-rimless-pico-cube-aquatop-254015.html

I just set it back up but it's my least favorite scape at the moment.

So were you getting another light for another build?

Here was my 2g journal.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/brians-2-11g-rimless-pico-cube-aquatop-254015.html

I just set it back up but it's my least favorite scape at the moment.

Yes, I wanted to do a similar build like the one I already have, something low tech/maintenance with low light plants.

I like the way you rescaped the 2g nano. The Anubias Nano 'Petite' and substrate work well together. I think it looks good.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391698965.868620.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391699024.657195.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391699041.598925.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391699078.465999.jpg

So only after introducing Red Cherry Shrimp 9 days ago, I saw my first Shrimplet!!

(You can see it better in the last pic as I blurred everything else.)

Similar sort of thing happened to me. Only took a little longer. I noticed a tiny shrimp and i thought it was cool. I then looked real close and i spotted 8 in total

So cool, how long ago did that happen?

So far I've only noticed 1, for the first time, yesterday evening. I haven't seen any other ones, but I'm hoping there are more.

So cool, how long ago did that happen?

So far I've only noticed 1, for the first time, yesterday evening. I haven't seen any other ones, but I'm hoping there are more.

Id guess about a week ago now. They are really noticable in size now and i see them all the time. Look real close and im sure youll have many more in there :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391702939.066559.jpg
Theres a couple of mine on a slate wall

Id guess about a week ago now. They are really noticable in size now and i see them all the time. Look real close and im sure youll have many more in there :)
View attachment 221110
Theres a couple of mine on a slate wall

I'll have keep a sharp eye out for more. The only reason I saw this little guy was because I moved the food that he was feeding on, not realizing it, and he jumped.

I'm just wondering how I missed the berried female(s), none of them looked berried to me, unless he was a little hitchhiker when I bought shrimp originally.

Yours look bigger and move developed than mine. Mine barely has any color; it's mostly transparent.

I'll have keep a sharp eye out for more. The only reason I saw this little guy was because I moved the food that he was feeding on, not realizing it, and he jumped.

I'm just wondering how I missed the berried female(s), none of them looked berried to me, unless he was a little hitchhiker when I bought shrimp originally.

Yours look bigger and move developed than mine. Mine barely has any color; it's mostly transparent.

Yea i have a few in there that are similar to yours just they are incredibly hard to spot. I had removed my internal filter and placed in a pot whilst i dislodged the motor propeller that had clogged, two of the little guys ended up in the pot. They seem like they are everywhere lol

Update: 2/21/14

Nothing much to report here. I added 3 more RCS on 2/4, however since then 2 have died, leaving me with 4. These 4 seem to be healthy, eating well and staying active.

The Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green & Bronze have really bounced back since the initial planting on 12/20/13. I seen new growth from both and from the Nymphaea Stellata every week.

Today I performed the 1st water change since starting the tank back in 9/27/13 :( I hope to get more disciplined with water changes.

Could anyone suggest a regimen for water changes? What I've read varies. Some say to perform a 1/3 water change once a month, others say 1/3-1/4 every 2-3 weeks.

I changed out 4.5cups/1liter of water.

Btw - here are some pics of the tank taken throughout Jan & Feb.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393010029.252937.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393010042.318736.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393010058.723261.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393010097.970019.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393010117.473563.jpg

Back
Top Bottom