2.1g Nano Cube - Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Berried Female Red Rili!

I like to check on my shrimp from time to time, to see how they are doing and what-not, especially when I feed them.

As I was feeding them 2 nights ago I noticed this:

1663ada3fe7d42d7eaefd63489fa440e.jpg

Totally following this! How do you keep algae out of there? I always have an algae problem especially in my planted picos.

That shrimp is gonna pop soon, those babies are gonna have a nice home in that java fern!

Thank you all!

Unfortunately, I woke up one morning to find that the female had lost about 3/4 of the eggs. Where they went...I do not know. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

Since my last update:

- The berried female Neocaridina davidi var. 'red rili' lost all the eggs and I have not seen anther berried female since (not sure why)

- All of the Pogostomen helferi melted/withered away

- Added Hemianthus micranthemoides to replace the Pogostomen helferi

- Added Staurogyne repens

- Added more mini riccia

- Added a small portion of Riccardia Chamedryfolia

- Added a small portion of Anubias nana petite

Here are some pictures of how the tank looks as of 7/30 (after a top off and trim):

c7f2f9c8e4968ec956338a2f56eb1714.jpg
27dbcc4b4ca4015e3bae7f10ec26d1e8.jpg
7a56edcaf785eea59ba37e7cad4375c7.jpg
1d764f926c6795ea3f1434fd619e65e2.jpg
f63c5d7d4d1538743e722dda5770986e.jpg
5600b7800d85ea5f9808cf50a87135b1.jpg
c41290ab47f7857b355ede6652053b29.jpg
96a69aa647412bc41f88dca279a10a8b.jpg
781656859da64490719cf2fe82b3db7f.jpg
cf0953967c715942d42377a32461ff0b.jpg
87041536f9ea172b65988f1443996391.jpg
64d61b63c8c842756108f96a0a35815e.jpg
0b056106f57e974b1cb6d85e580d36c4.jpg
8759bb54df42051976b5f93c129ab6f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

Wow.. Great job! This looks splendid. I really like that DW and how the plants just compliment it. Really nice photos too. Keep the updates coming.

Looking good. Sorry to hear that the shrimp lost her eggs. Not uncommon with young mothers. Maybe all the plants melting has caused there to not be more babies yet.

What is the bright green plant in the corner and the center on the side? Is that the Riccia Fluitans? l like it - the color makes it really pop.

Wow.. Great job! This looks splendid. I really like that DW and how the plants just compliment it. Really nice photos too. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks Brian.

I'm very pleased with how this tank is coming along. It started as one thing and has taken on a life of its own.

I appreciate the comments on the photos, they're from my iPhone. It's flattering coming from you, as I really enjoy/admire your photos.

I haven't been as diligent with the updates, but will try to be.

Looking good. Sorry to hear that the shrimp lost her eggs. Not uncommon with young mothers. Maybe all the plants melting has caused there to not be more babies yet.

What is the bright green plant in the corner and the center on the side? Is that the Riccia Fluitans? l like it - the color makes it really pop.

Yea, the whole loss of the eggs was a bit of a disappointment. Nice to know it's not uncommon. Hoping for more berried females in the near future.

Thank you. Yes, the bright green plant in the front right-hand corner is Riccia fluitans, which has just exploded with lush, vibrant green growth! But...the underside of it, is now slowing turning yellow, not sure why. Any thoughts?

Thanks Brian.

I'm very pleased with how this tank is coming along. It started as one thing and has taken on a life of its own.

I appreciate the comments on the photos, they're from my iPhone. It's flattering coming from you, as I really enjoy/admire your photos.

I haven't been as diligent with the updates, but will try to be.

I love how that happens sometimes. They do tend to take a life of their own and you just need to adjust and make compromises sometimes.

As for your photos, it's all about the artistic eye, composition, angles, or what not. The equipment helps, but IMO, it's only a small component. This is something I leaned in college in one of my photo classes. Our professor made that quite clear and validated his position showing us how a photo taken with a mere iPhone made the cover of a Time Life magazine.. http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/06/time-magazine-cover-shot-with-iphone/

Anyways, I hope your riccia bounces back and it doesn't continue to yellow. I really love how vividly bright green that plant is. If you have extra later, LMK. I'd like to try that plant again. :)

With the ricia could it be thats its grown to large. The top blocking the light to the underneath slowly killing it off. Possible??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With the ricia could it be thats its grown to large. The top blocking the light to the underneath slowly killing it off. Possible??

That was my exact thought, but wasn't sure if that was right.

So I guess my next step is to trim it. Any tips on trimming it?

I love how that happens sometimes. They do tend to take a life of their own and you just need to adjust and make compromises sometimes.

As for your photos, it's all about the artistic eye, composition, angles, or what not. The equipment helps, but IMO, it's only a small component. This is something I leaned in college in one of my photo classes. Our professor made that quite clear and validated his position showing us how a photo taken with a mere iPhone made the cover of a Time Life magazine.. Time Magazine cover image shot with iPhone: interview with Ben Lowy

Anyways, I hope your riccia bounces back and it doesn't continue to yellow. I really love how vividly bright green that plant is. If you have extra later, LMK. I'd like to try that plant again. :)

Wow, nice article!

I heard Stu Worall and George Farmer on the ScapeFu podcast talk about using mobile phones to take pictures of your aquascape and offered some helpful tips. Nice to know even the professional will use their mobile phones to take pictures at times.

I too hope the Riccia bounces back. I'm thinking the underside is dying because it's gotten too overgrown and not enough light is penetrating through it. If I have extra you'll be the first to know Brian. It's such a great little plant.

Stu Worral and George Farmer, theres two great aquascapers from my side of the pond. I urge anyone who is unfamiliar with their work to look into it

Back
Top Bottom