New canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey I just got a brand new canister filter that has 3 trays and a uv sterilizer it comes with 3 white-fine Pad Cottons pads is this enough, is there any other things I can add to the media trays and in what order? and what is your opinion on the uv sterilizer (it's 9w)?

Hey I just got a brand new canister filter that has 3 trays and a uv sterilizer it comes with 3 white-fine Pad Cottons pads is this enough, is there any other things I can add to the media trays and in what order? and what is your opinion on the uv sterilizer (it's 9w)?

As far as media goes, it's really up to your preference and the needs of the fish you keep. I keep primarily geophagus these days so I use poly fill in my canisters to help pick up the stirred up material in the water column. Bio balls, ceramic rings, activated carbon. Great thing about canisters is the fact that they give you the room to tailor the media to the requirements of the tank.
I really have no experience using uv sterilizers but some people swear by them and some will say they are worthless. IMO regular water changes and not over feeding are the keys to keeping a healthy aquarium.

I've heard that people use those pot scrubbers in there setup is this good, bad, ok?
is there any other DIY filter media for canisters

The uv may help control algae. I have canisters that are similar to yours- I put matrix and glass noodles in mine, along with coarse aquarium sponge that I cut to shape.
Generally coarse sponge in the bottom basket, matrix in the next, and (depending whether its primary purpose is mechanical or biological filtration) either more matrix with a fine sponge in the top basket or sponge and filter wool.

I get bulk media from drsfosterandsmith.com, one each of the course, medium, and fine. I put one layer of each with ceramic rings on top of the pads in every layer. I got from top to bottom course/medium/fine.

I've heard that people use those pot scrubbers in there setup is this good, bad, ok?
is there any other DIY filter media for canisters

Buy a cheap pillow and take the wodding out that's what I use you can buy the same stuff from a fabric shop or your local fish store but a cheap pillow is cheapest an just the same :)

Thanks for all the help it just got here

Nice! What did u get the aquatop400 w the uv? What size tank? Let me know how you like it! I'm looking for a cheap canister for my 36 gallon. Use filstars on other tanks and like them but I don't like the fill cap on back of I tank how its visible and the intake and outtake tubes are blue and stick out against a black background so I'm looking at other options for this new tank. Eheim I like ... but they're green pipes! Fluval uses ribbed tubes which I don't want so that leaves cascade and aquAtop as my options!

Well this is a sun sun and is exactly the same as aquatop so far so good very nice filter there pipes are also green the filter is nice and quite the canister is for up to 100 gallons so my Africans are really liking this clear perfect water so I'm very pleased with this filter it's on amazon for 77.99 free shipping so I recommend it

Does the uv on it require a second plug into outlet or is it still just one like any filter?

Hmmm well I went with a fluval 206 and set it up tonight in place of my ac50 and I have to say its looking like a terrible move! Were my expectations too high!? I'm using xp3 and xp4 on bigger tanks and they move water well. If I put my hand I'm front of this ones output i can't even feel water coming out if its submerged. I have to plight it above surface! It visually looks like its moving water when I look at the tank. Not sure this wil be adequate to filter 36 gallon along with the fluval u4 underwater rate for a 65 gallon that moves way more water if U ask me(says 265 gph). Of course I threw away the box. I filled trays w biostars and bio max from other filter in bottom s
Tray then more bio max in middle them in top the included fine pad and then pouch of purigen

The uv may help control algae. I have canisters that are similar to yours- I put matrix and glass noodles in mine, along with coarse aquarium sponge that I cut to shape.
Generally coarse sponge in the bottom basket, matrix in the next, and (depending whether its primary purpose is mechanical or biological filtration) either more matrix with a fine sponge in the top basket or sponge and filter wool.
Perfect set-up IMO. Just to add though, Seachem Purigen....

The sunsun hw303b the spray bar moves water crazy fast and my fish love it i have the spray bar about 4-5 in under water and the jets still shoot out of the water a bit the canister is clearing my water very fast also me changing to the canister will allow me more fish now to

Hey erick I remember that you couldn't make a decision because of the look of the green pipes well on this sunsun canister filter the tubes are green but are almost transparent behind the aquarium just wanted to let you know

Thanks. They won't even show up with my background. May return te fluval I bought and try it out. If I can find the box in my recycle bin!

Back
Top Bottom