New cichild tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have the usual set up in a tropical tank but as I'm getting a new tank on Sunday I was thinking o have a cichlids set up.
I'm just wondering on some advice when doing so
And what fish could be good looking for large fish and maybe bright coloured ones

Thanks if anyone can help.

jack dempsey, jaguar cihclid, OSCAR ;), flowerhorn, discus, OSCAR.... im not plugging my fave or anything!! ha x
JD, oscars, jags = personality
flowerhorn, discus = looks
what do u like in a fish? everyone has their own opinions x x x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
jack dempsey, jaguar cihclid, OSCAR ;), flowerhorn, discus, OSCAR.... im not plugging my fave or anything!! ha x
JD, oscars, jags = personality
flowerhorn, discus = looks
what do u like in a fish? everyone has their own opinions x x x

Sounds good I like the look of that jack Dempsey fish. And I like discus. And other than that I don't mind. And I don't really know what oscars are but I'll have a look.

And what I'm looking for are fish that aren't too frightened but can all live together cause I have no idea what can live together.

Can a jd and discus live together and oscars?

If you want several fish, go with discus or african cichlids (mbuna, peacocks, haps, tangs). If you want one or two big fish, go with jd's, oscar, jags, etc.

mfdrookie516 said:
If you want several fish, go with discus or african cichlids (mbuna, peacocks, haps, tangs). If you want one or two big fish, go with jd's, oscar, jags, etc.

Ok
Is there no way to get an Oscar or a jd and then a few Africans then?

I say go Africans. I love my fuelleborni and they get decent sized plus the males can be very colorful. Plus they are pretty compatible considering a lot of cichlid reputations. The picture is of my male. He is my favorite fish.

Bully405Customz said:
I say go Africans. I love my fuelleborni and they get decent sized plus the males can be very colorful. Plus they are pretty compatible considering a lot of cichlid reputations. The picture is of my male. He is my favorite fish.

Tour fish look well. Nice colours. Yeah think I'll go african so and all Africans are compatible are they.

And another question do cichlids need to be kept above 8 ph an should I get some argon rocks or something to keep it higher

Thanks

Tour fish look well. Nice colours. Yeah think I'll go african so and all Africans are compatible are they.

And another question do cichlids need to be kept above 8 ph an should I get some argon rocks or something to keep it higher

Thanks

Yes, they shoul be fine in that pH.
Research what lake you want to go as Africans is a pretty general term for the cichlids from that continent.

check out the general african cichlid range, like mbuna, haps etc. iv seen pics of oscars and green terrors happily bobbing with mbuna in a large tank (140gal etc) so its not IMpossible... just needs a very settled tank and lots of experience.
i keep peacocks/zebras, today i got a free auratus... id reccomend this range in a heartbeat! such personalities AND looks!!! what do u like best? x

Back
Top Bottom