new clam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marty20

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought this clam and I know the basics of how to take care of them but as its my first one and im excited for it I want it to go well... so does anyone have any tips or experiences that I could learn from to make sure things go well?? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130309_212529.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130309_212529.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 250
No experience with clams but I really like the colors on the one you got- real cool.

Thank you! I really like it too! I can't wait to watch it grow up

I have read a few accounts but the one that sticks in my head is that a 1 inch clam grew to 3 inches in about 5 months. So im guessing they grow quicker when they are younger and then slow down as they age.

Good lighting and water flow. 3" and under I feed a few times a week with coral frenzy. Here's 3 of my 5.

Attachments

• image-3479469899.jpg
    image-3479469899.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 193
  • image-1173329144.jpg
    image-1173329144.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image-3739354759.jpg
    image-3739354759.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 158
Thank you! I was trying to find how to feed them online last night and was unsuccessful. I was a little distracted though but how do you feed them? I know people use a syringe to spot feed but what kind of method do you use??

Also those are beautiful! Hopefully mine will grow up to look like that!

Directly over the clam? I guess im asking where you aim it haha

Thanks a lot for your help! How quickly have yours grown? Mine is about 2 inches now and im really excited about it

So I spot fed my clam last night and this morning he appears happier than the other day. He has opened up a little more and is showing off some of his color.

Directly over the clam? I guess im asking where you aim it haha

Just so you know, They wont change color. Yours will always be that same color pattern. It may get darker but it will always be those colors. It wont turn blue or change its pattern.

Spot feeding depends on the flow in your tank. Some people squirt the baster out down stream so that the current will drag it into the clam, some people turn off pumps and put it right around them, and some people just put it in the water and let the pumps take it all around the tank.

I know he wont change color I was just mentioning that he seemed more vibrant than before. And I decided to turn my pumps off and feed him that way. I figured that was the easiest way to know he got the food.

I don't think a clam will benefit from coral frenzy. As a matter of fact, if you squirt food into the clam, you may kill it.
That is a myth that clams need feeding under a certain size. I bought a dozen 1" maxima clams and grew them to 2" without a single feeding. Just light.

img_2383508_0_db4cb9c6adfc1e468f2013409d69ba1e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mr X. I didn't use the coral frenzy but thawed some frozen shrimp cubes in some tank water and used a siphon to squirt the solution onto it as I saw it done in a YouTube video.

Phytoplankton is what you want to use. Some would let the clam attach to a small rock, then remove the clam from the tank and put it in a bowl of tank water with phytoplankton in it for a few minutes, then replace it. This is so you don't add too much nutrients to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom