New -cloudy water in marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could add the clean up crew along with the clowns. The other stuff I'd wait a little while on and do the corals last.

What would you recommend for quantities not to Add to much stress on the bio load for crabs , snails ? I was thinking a few cleaner shrimp ,
And a pair of clowns

What would you recommend for quantities not to Add to much stress on the bio load for crabs , snails ? I was thinking a few cleaner shrimp ,
And a pair of clowns

The snails and crabs I would do a half dozen on both and later add another half dozen or little more and then the shrimp.

The snails and crabs I would do a half dozen on both and later add another half dozen or little more and then the shrimp.

Thanks again Andy ,
Your information has came in very handy .
I tested my water again when I got home from work .
With the 2 shrimp
Ammonia : .5 ppm
Nitrate : 30ppm
Nitrite : 0 ppm

This is a good sign and the cycle is finished ?
I am going to mix don't salt water and do a water change .
25% sufficient ?

Thanks again Andy ,
Your information has came in very handy .
I tested my water again when I got home from work .
With the 2 shrimp
Ammonia : .5 ppm
Nitrate : 30ppm
Nitrite : 0 ppm

This is a good sign and the cycle is finished ?
I am going to mix don't salt water and do a water change .
25% sufficient ?

You had the shrimp in there right? If so then I'd say it's pretty much done. Just leave the shrimp till the day before your going to get the fish, crabs and snails and do a water change. 25% is fine for now you may need to do more but will see what happens when you get the fish.

You had the shrimp in there right? If so then I'd say it's pretty much done. Just leave the shrimp till the day before your going to get the fish, crabs and snails and do a water change. 25% is fine for now you may need to do more but will see what happens when you get the fish.

The ammonia should drop on its own to 0 ppm even with the shrimp in there ?

The ammonia should drop on its own to 0 ppm even with the shrimp in there ?

Yes because fish produce ammonia non stop that the bacteria takes care of. That's how you get a reading of zero. So your not quite there yet but not to far off. Just leave the shrimp in there and it should be done by the weekend.

Yes because fish produce ammonia non stop that the bacteria takes care of. That's how you get a reading of zero. So your not quite there yet but not to far off. Just leave the shrimp in there and it should be done by the weekend.

Hi Andy .
Have you ever heard of the vodka method to reduce nitrates and phosphate ?
I have been reading allot on this and looking for some more input from someone experienced as you.
Because I use tap water even consistent water changes will still have high nitrate levels .
What are safe nitrate levels for fish?
I have read corals prefer Lower levels then fish only tanks .
Thanks again

Rod

Hi Andy .
Have you ever heard of the vodka method to reduce nitrates and phosphate ?
I have been reading allot on this and looking for some more input from someone experienced as you.
Because I use tap water even consistent water changes will still have high nitrate levels .
What are safe nitrate levels for fish?
I have read corals prefer Lower levels then fish only tanks .
Thanks again

Rod

I don't know much about the vodka treatment. I never used it when I had saltwater. Your nitrates should be low if doing cleaning and water changes. You really need to use ro/Di water or spring gallon water. Keeping corals with just the tap water might not work for you.

Some tap water has nitrate, some are low some are high. I would keep them as low as you can under 20 would be the best and lower better.

Your going to start getting into questions that I don't remember about this side. I asked someone to help me out or move your thread to the salt side.

Hi Andy .
Do you know anything about why my coralife HOB skimmer would be filling my tank with micro bubbles ?
Is this normal after setting it up?

Back
Top Bottom