new coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, i just got back from reef-a-palooza, an aquarium convention in southern california and i bought a xenia frag, brain coral frag, and a blue zooanthids frag. Do i need any phytoplakton or any kind of food for them? I have iodine, calcium and strontium supplements.

thanks

IMO, you don't need any of that. I wouldn't add the trace elements (unless you have an iodine, calcium, and strontium test kit). Regular water changes are all you need to do to keep those healthy.

None of the corals listed are fiter feeders so don't worry about the phytoplankton. I agree about the suppliments. Regular water changes will take care of replensishing depleted trace elements. Do not add what you do not test for.

I feed my open brain once per 2 weeks or so with a small piece of SW shrimp that i buy from the market. Not that it needs that to survive but IMO, the more u feed the corals, the better/faster they grow

I agree with FishFrik, I feed my open brain every once in a while just to make sure its getting enough food and to keep it nice and healthy. They dont NEED it I just give it to them as an added bonus. If you wanted to feed them you could get saltwater shrimp from the store or you could just give them some mysis when their tenticles are out.

Back
Top Bottom