New Corals Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And this is a polyp...I'm thinking Star. The pic really doesn't do the pink color justice. I think that's an operator error.

Hey on your third pic, just right of the coral, is that an aptasia?

Anyway Beautiful peaces you have!! :mrgreen:

Bearfan said:
And this is a polyp...I'm thinking Star. The pic really doesn't do the pink color justice. I think that's an operator error.
Pachyclavularia sp.

This is a Zoanthid, any specifics?. Here is a regular and actinic pic.
Protopalythoa sp. (I believe) aka Sea Mat

Cheers
Steve

revhtree said:
Hey on your third pic, just right of the coral, is that an aptasia?

Anyway Beautiful peaces you have!! :mrgreen:

Of course it is. I rearranged some rock and found more too large for my peps.

steve-s said:
Bearfan said:
Pachyclavularia sp.

Even though it is fairly bright pink?

steve-s said:
This is a Zoanthid, any specifics?. Here is a regular and actinic pic.
Protopalythoa sp. (I believe) aka Sea Mat

Cheers
Steve

Looks about right.

Bearfan said:
steve-s said:
Bearfan said:
Pachyclavularia sp.

Even though it is fairly bright pink?.
Given the purplish matting and jagged eight polyp tip extentions, yes.

Cheers
Steve

aren't encrusting gorgonians like star polyps? I have seen some that look similar but are not green.

Also, that xenia looks like some anthelia I have but it does not pulse. My pumping xenia has smaller hands. I guess there are ton of varieties :)

The green zoanthid you have gets sold around here as green button polyps. They have a taller stalk than what is sold as zooanthids. Those redder ones are cool!

Of course, with the experience I have had with the LFS, I don't know if anything they say is correct :(

Nice start with corals!

could be green, white or brown star polyps. more than likley they are gonna be your brown stars.

ellisz said:
aren't encrusting gorgonians like star polyps? I have seen some that look similar but are not green.
Yes but they are a different Genus and they can also be green. Briareum sp will also branch upward away from the main base unlike Pachyclavularia sp.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom