New decor! yay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with my mom is that she thinks I have too many tanks.... wow.. I have a 10 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, and a random assortment of random glass and plastic things from walmart/petmart -.-

oh doh! I lied I have 13 fish in my tank >.> but it's still better... *forgot about black skirts*

severum mama - i don't mean everyone on this forum just those who can sometimes overexggagerate on these things. i mean i wouldn't put that many fish ina tank but the fact that fish can thrive in those conditions and can live a long time is what i am trying to get at. some one on some other thread was complaining about a betta being in those little cups and how unsanitary it was. but what they don't realize is that they live in small puddles or bodies of water in the wild and a bigger tank just makes them a bit skittish and if you do regular water changes on that little cup they can live a very long time

Hey Puriti- would your mom care if you got a big enough tank so that you could tear down the 10 gallon? Like if you got a 30 gallon or something, it would still be overstocked, but if you didn't have your 10 gallon, you'd have the same number of tanks set up, you know? :twisted: Check out classifieds, and some garage sales when you get your license, and you could probably find a bigger tank that was pretty cheap. I got a 30 gallon for $15 at a mission store recently. If you keep your eyes peeled, I'm sure you would score a deal eventually. :D

I'll try my best, but she can be a stubborn biatch about it. She's having me buy my fish and everything for it but she WON'T LET ME GET A NEW TANK! it's so stupid! My friend Jamie said that if she finds one at a flea market or something that's a decent size she's gonna get it for me... or when I get my license i'll go out and buy one and get grounded for it but at least my fish'll be happier >.> I SHALL GET A NEW TANK DANG IT!

or when I get my license i'll go out and buy one and get grounded for it but at least my fish'll be happier >.>
Jeez... really? That seems really unfair to me, especially if it is your money, and especially if you could find a cheap used tank. 8O

My parents are a bit concerned about my MTS, but it's mostly just that they don't want it slowly (or quickly) creeping out of my room 'til the whole house is full of tanks. Sounds like you need to have a talk with your mom about it. Be rational. It's the only way some parents will listen.

I had 2 angels, 2 dwarf gouramis, a silver dollar and 2 corys in a 10 gal. One angel and the silver dollar were about 3 inches each. It looked really overcrowded, but I got a 29 gal and they are all happier and more lively. I have managed to develop acute MTS over the past year. I've went from zero to five tanks since February.

Well, you do have to concede that it's your parents house you're living in. :wink: They pay the mortgage and the electric and water bills, and well...it's their house! What you have to do is compromise with them and make them realize that one larger tank will look alot nicer than a bunch of overcrowded ones scattered about. Then, you have to get hold of yourself and curb your MTS urges until you move out! :D

For some reason, some people believe that tanks larger than 10 gallons are inherently unstable and will spontaneously burst open. :roll: I wouldn't use this argument on your parents, but 10 gallons of water on the floor is almost as much of a PITA as 30 gallons on the floor. If they're Ok with a 10 gal, I see no reason why they should be opposed to replacing it with a 30 gal. Just reassure them that you don't plan on upgrading to a 55 while you're still living under their roof.

Good point QTOFFER. I had a similar problem recently regarding larger tanks. :) It's amazing the fears that people entertain about leaking or bursting tanks.

Puriti...I have followed your threads regarding your amazing amount of fish and I remember you attempting to find homes for them a couple of weeks ago. You were never hesitant about this problem from the beginning and should be commended for being honest. You have never stated that this is was intentional and have done everything possible to try to maintain it until you could find a solution.

That being said...the tank decor looks great. :)

i don't care how its done you can't keep 28 fish in a 10 gallon tank!!! That just abusive to the animals... there is no way they can thrive in an environment like that

Yet you're keeping 96" of fish in a 55 gal. :?:

Ok folks. This thread was supposed to be about new decor and it's already gotten farther off topic than it should have. I'd hate to have to lock it due to mud throwing.

Yes the decor looks great and this thread is about how the decor looks, not criticizing her about overstocking.

I agree, the castle looks great in your tank. I personally prefer the more natural look, but done correctly the good old castle and ornament look is nice too. :mrgreen:

Thank you, don't worry about criticizing me much 8O I don't mind the critism but that was kinda a gang up O_O lol but that's okay, I'm going to be getting rid of some of the baby mollies once mrs. lavallee can get a tank and hopefully I can convince my mom to let me get a bigger tank if we finally decide to move into an appartment. Really it's not my parents house, but my grandparents ^^; my grandparents really do'nt care as long as I don't make a giant mess with it but my mom just doesn't get that I made a mistake in buying that many fish when I first started out (part of the problem was that I thought it was 20 gal not 10 >_<) and I wanna fix my mistake by buying a bigger tank not just because I want to but because I NEED to. I mean I only had mini tanks because I knew I might need them at SOME point in order to quarentine, clean, or whatever for them. I might put some of my baby mollies back in the big tank for a while though cuz they're just sitting around doing nothing because I only have one heater and I can't heat 5 things @_____@ and I just plain feel bad >_<

Thanks for your advice though, and thanks for the compliments, I'll try to do better with my fish ^^ and I'll keep trying to get my babies new homes and work my mom into getting me a bigger tank. She just doesnt' get it >_< I only need ONE more big tank I'm not going to go buy a bigger tank and go out and buy more fish. I'd LIKE to but I'm happy with the ones I got for now ^^ and later on when my fish get old and die, then I'll consider trying newer species for the ones I learned not to like and get more of the ones I really liked. And what's best about it is, I know you guys will be hear to help me out with all my little squabbles about being new to the hobby and set me straight when I overstock my tank again lol ^^ *gives everyone a BIIIIIIIIIIIIG hug* I wuff ju guys!

hehe, you're an affectionate one aren't you? *returns the hug* My mom is the same way about not understanding my hobbies :? .

Well, I just got in an argument about it yesterday with her last night and she was just like..... we'll talk about it tomorrow so we won't be as grumpy

SO THERE'S HOPE YET!

I also have expensive hobbies. (fish and gaming) At this point my mom just says "whatever" with a sigh and lets me do my thing. As long as I pay for it all that is.

Back
Top Bottom