new Eheim filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumarty2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a question about a new filter I just got. I bought a Eheim filter for my 75 gal which is replacing an old Marineland. this Eheim has a bunch of layers and only a carbon pad that you are supposed to remove after 2 weeks. Since I am so used to my old carbon filter and changing it every month I am a bit confused as to how often to replace all the layers in my new Eheim. can I get some advice???

You won't replace the other layers. It's media that remains in the filter, so that beneficial bacteria can populate.

Why again are you using carbon at all? I haven't used it in my tanks for years.

generally cannister filter use bio media to do biological filtration, with foam for the mechanical.
I use a fluval with the ceramic rings, and i just rinse them and the pads once a month or so. i dont use carbon, and had an extra tray for more biomedia, so i put some lava rocks in it because i had them lying around.

I guess I am old school.. I had the marineland canister filter for over 13 years with the carbon. I guess I need to step into the 21st century. so really you just rinse everything once a month?

yeah, pretty much thats what i do. carbon doesn't do much against anything that a fairly regular water change fixes, as someone on this forum said... :)

The only real benefit of carbon is removing medication.

You really only need to clean the canister every 4-6 months. Mine seems to work better the dirtier it gets.

I have both Eheim and Fluval cannister filters. I open them for cleaning only every six months or so. YMMV depending on your bioload. I keep BN plecos in all my tanks, probably the biggest poop generators in the FW aquarium. My filter is usually quite disgusting when I open it for cleaning.

The bottom layer of ceramic rings gets thoroughly rinsed in a bucket of tank water.
I gently rinse the upper layer of porous media in tank water. At every other cleaning, I replace about 1/3 of the porous media. I'm not even sure if this is really necessary, but I figure that the media must get clogged with fine debris over time, reducing the available surface area for bacteria to grow on. It's probably overkill on my part.
I replace the filter pad - it's too gross to even think about rinsing it, and they're cheap.

I don't bother with carbon. If your breeding fish, or keep demanding species that don't like dissolved organic compounds, carbon may be a good idea so long as it is replaced every week or two. Otherwise, it's only function is the removal of meds (which should ideally be used in a separate hospital tank anyway).

Back
Top Bottom