New Fauna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last fall I caught 20 minnows out of the creek behind our house and put them in a 20 gal planted tank. The females are starting to have babies now, and I have a fry tank with 100+ baby minnows that are starting to grow up. Minnows are so robust and healthy compared to many of the tropicals. Maybe it's a local biotype tank. Is anyone else experimenting with local fauna? What kind of results are you getting?

i don't think alot of people experiment with local fauna because it is illegal in most areas.

In my honest opinion, your local fish belong where you caught them.

Congrats on the babies though... That really makes me think they are livebearers, or did they lay eggs?

I suggest releasing all of them... but thats just my opinion.

Well, I've got a pumpkinseed, but technically he came from a feeder tank and not the wild. Eventually I want some minnows or darters, but I'd buy them from bait stores so I know they are legal. There's a pretty good collection of native fish at the bait store.

Mine are live bearers. I'd sure hate to live in a place where it's illegal to catch minnows out of the water on your own property!

I actually was looking into this because I never realized how many small fish there are that are native to my area (Ohio). The law in Ohio is that you have to have a fishing license and you can't have more than 500 bait fish at a time (minnows). Most of the small fish that you would catch here at least are also caught by fishermen and used as bait. So, in my opinion, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have a local species take (assuming I were to get a fishing license, wouldn't want to be breaking the law). I did notice, however, that certain types of fish that you might find are illegal to possess (goby), so you should probably know what type of fish you have before you do it. I think it's an interesting way to learn about the types of fish that can be found in the wild where you live (assuming its legal).

I posted a picture. You can see it at the topic "Fish to ID". My guess is that is something related to a Gambusia or mosquito fish.

I replied. It is indeed Gambusia. Depending on where you are, they're probably not native at all, but introduced to control mosquitos.

But anyways. Another legal thing you have to check out is how you catch fish. It's illegal in places to catch baby catfish with a net because they tend to school and you can quickly catch a whole population, so you're supposed to do it with a hook. And just check with the DNR to make sure its ok to collect the species you have.

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping native fish. All these fish we keep are native to somewhere, and go through a lot of stress to get to us. That could be why native fish seem so hardy. I just wouldn't mix them with your other fish in case they are carrying parasites.

This is really stirring up my interest in doing this... I'm thinking of maybe getting a 20 gallon over the summer to keep a few local (small) fish. I'd make sure I knew whta they were. My boyfriend already said he'd go out and search for minnows in the creek behind my house (which is amazing because he seems to hate the fish... I spend too much time with them and not him lol). Before I did it though I would definately know exactly what I was doing, have a fishing license, know the laws, and not mix them with my tropicals... I wouldn't want to introduce diseases to my large tank.

One law I did notice is that you can only have a certain size net for catching. Although, I'm thinking that if someone in the aquarium hobby were doing this, they wouldn't have a 4ft net... but yeah, there are laws regarding net size for catching "minnows".

I don't get this phobia about mixing the locals with the tropicals. Why wouldn't it be just as effective to QT the locals first just like with fish from the LFS? I've received diseased fish from my very first buy at PetSmart and never seen any disease from the local fish yet. They have been the most robust and healthy of all my fish. I still have them separate from the tropicals, but I wonder if I'm being far too cautious.

Natives can be in many instances great for the aquarium. Check into local regulations and have some fun. Most are clueless to what great fish we have locally.

Regen - good for you! Go do it right. :)

itafx - I don't know a whole lot about the disease issue but I think perhaps it is possible that wild fish can carry diseases or parasites that are outside of the common illnesses seen in the tropical farmrasied fish. I would QT for longer than ususal if you were going to mix them. However, natives in general appreciate cooler waters than the tropicals, and that alone is enough reason for me to keep them separate.
If we're still talking about the Gambusia specifically (which again, probably not really native), keep in mind these guys can be mean little buggers. When I kept them, I wound up separating them from my community because they picked on the other fish and ate most of the food. They do not play nice in a peaceful community.

I was reading that in certain states such as mine - Minnesota, that having native fish in an aquarium count towards your legal limit for fishing? I have always thought it would be cool to have an aquarium full of crappies and sunnies.

I think so?? Plus any you have in your freezer unless they are store bought.

I should correct myself, here in Michigan we can also keep gamefish as long they are of legal size. I used to keep Rainbow Darters in a forty long set up as a creek biotope, it was really cool.

In response to the phobia of mixing:

I should have been more clear about it. I'm worried about parasites, etc. and I think maybe native fish might have more issues than tropicals, things I might not notice or even think about. Also, any fish I caught in Ohio I'm sure would be coldwater fish, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate the warmer waters my tropicals have. Also, since I'm sure whatever I found wouldnt' have too much information about online (information about keeping in aquariums at least) I wouldn't want to risk some kind of problem between the fish and my tropicals.

JBarr, I think pretty much any lake, stream, or river in MN that you go to will have minnows in it. I don't think the person that started this thread is from here though?

jbarr, if you are talking about itafx's native fish that s/he posted for an ID, then they are Gambusia affinis, a wild-type livebearer. They are native to North and Central America. Chances are good that you can find them in most places, as they are hardy and introduced in many places to control mosquitos. If you can't catch them in the wild, you can likely find them from a pond supplier or even an LFS. I'm sure that takes away some of the fun of acquiring them, but they are pretty cool little fish.

Back
Top Bottom