New filter question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donna541

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a new upgraded filter and I'm going to put it into my cycled tank, any ideas how long b4 I can move the old one out (the old one is still working) :) cheers

10 days is what I've heard, but I do 14 when changing/adding any filter/media.

Is the old one dying, or just not doing a great job? If it still works, leave it in IMO as added filtration, it can only help. Plus if you ever need to QT a fish, you have a filter ready to instantly cycle another tank (FYI: QT can be a clear bin too :D) in 10 minutes time.

+1 Mr. Limpet, you can't go wrong with extra filtration.

Leaving the established filter on for a month would be a bit more safe if you are worried about a mini-cycle.

Excellent idea lol thanks, I got a new one as I had a filter plus an undergravel filter was going to get rid of ug cuz I don't think it much good... Any views ?? (ps would a bucket do as qt 2 lol)

I actually read an article on using a bucket with a heavy duty, plain plastic can liner. When treatment is done, toss liner... No chance of lingering problems. I've not done it, but it sounded feasible

I know a lot of people aren't too fond of ug filters. I can't really give you any insight on that since I have only used hob filters on my tanks.

A bucket could work in a pinch. Really a cheap 5 or 10g tank works great as a qt, but something as small as a 2.5g can be used. Just remember that the smaller the qt the less fish will fit and the harder it is to dose meds since they are often calibrated for 5/10g tanks.

Excellent idea lol thanks, I got a new one as I had a filter plus an undergravel filter was going to get rid of ug cuz I don't think it much good... Any views ?? (ps would a bucket do as qt 2 lol)

If the filter will fit and operate and the fish aren't cramped, then sure.

I got a semi clear tub at Target for 5.99 and it works great, plus I got a free lid to boot lol. I keep it cleaned out with an unused heater, meds and whatnot stored in it, it's in the hall closet ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom