New Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim Kipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
My new Eheim 2026 just arrived. It's going to replace my internal Fluval 4 Plus in my 168L FW. 3 questions:

1) No info in the manual at all regarding the time it takes for thefilter to develop enough bacteria to do it's job. Any advice on how long I have to run both filters before I can remove the old one ?

2) I assumed I would have theinlet and outlet at different ends of the tank. However, the book and length of tubing both suggest same end. Any problems with this ?

3) How high should the inlet be above the sand ???

Thanks in advance.

PS only paid £105, including tax and carriage and media (special offer). And arrived next day. See http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/

Congrats on the purchase of an excellent filter Kim Kipper :D .

1. Running both filters in tandem is the way to go. The time it takes to completely cycle the new filter will depend on your bioload. 7 - 10 days should be adaquate.

2. I always seperate the intake and outflows at different ends of the tank. This helps with water movement.

3. I position the intakes just above the substrate. A sponge prefilter is a good idea. It reduces maintenence by helping to keep the impeller clean. It's also much easier to rinse out a sponge then to keep opening the cannister. :wink:

Run the old and new filter at the same time for 4 to six weeks. Or transfer all the biologic media from the old canister to the new one and keep an eye on things.

As for the intake height, I have heard 6 inches above the gravel, since if your filter causes a leak, when its done emptying your tank there will still be 6 inches of water for the fish to live in while you fix the mess. I have never had a filter empty my tank, so I do not know how important that advice is. I have mine 3 or 4 inches over the gravel, because I am too lazy to modify it after hearing the 6 inch advice.

As long as the tubing is the same length for intake and outflow, it won't matter where you put them on your tank. I doubt that small differences in length would have any significant impact upon your canisters flow efficiency. I really don't know how different lengths would effect things, I just know that my fluval owners manual goes out of its way to state that the filter flow rate was tested with tubes of equal length. I do know that if you add tubing length, in order to place the filter somewhere else other than under the tank, flow is decreased.

Where exactly would the sponge pre-filter go ?

Do I wrap it around the end of the inlet tube, in the tank ?

Back
Top Bottom