New filter - too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinMcG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,
I have a 30 gallon long and have been running an Aquaclear 50 for several months now. My filter stopped working (still can't figure out why and stupidly hadn't submitted the warranty paperwork!), so I bought a new one. My LFS suggested that I go with one level up, increasing the filtration. In the end, I bought on-line, rather than from the LFS, but I did decide to go up a level, as suggested. I just installed my Aquaclear 70 and am worried that the outflow is too strong. I've turned it as low as it will allow.

The tank has a school of 10 neon/cardinal tetras and 10 rasboras, plus one bn pleco. The pleco is blithely ignoring everything, the tetras seem ok, but the rasboras are acting odd. They are swimming like mad, back and forth across the tank, then piling up in one corner. It's almost like the current is pushing them too much.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Erin

From the sound's of what your saying the flow is to strong. I would personally go and exchange it out for the 50.

Only a little bit. I've got it as low as it will go.

Here's a link to a video I just did, showing the tank and the fish swimming around in it.

I'd keep it and go ahead with what Mumma said, also you can stuff that space on the left with some poly fill and that will slow it down a little.

Back
Top Bottom