New filter with new questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I'm getting a new filter today. I've gone for the Tetra Whisper EX30 for my 10G just for that extra boost and when I get a 20 long later this year, I can have that. I was just wondering if you guys can give me some tips on what to do while introducing this new filter to my tank. Tips regarding the cycle and filter media and all of that. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

(The filter media will be switching from a medium to a large, will that be bad for business when it comes to putting in the old filter media to keep the parameters straight? Let me know guys. Thanks.)

Are you discontinuing use of your old filter? If so, just move all of the media to the new filter

Are you discontinuing use of your old filter? If so, just move all of the media to the new filter

It might not have space for an added cartridge in the new filter.

I would run both filter for a month or so before discontinuing the old one.

It might not have space for an added cartridge in the new filter.

I would run both filter for a month or so before discontinuing the old one.

Well I have a 10G and don't really have enough space to run both. I'll try to fit the medium filter cartridge but I don't think it will work. Any other suggestions?

If you don't intent on using your old cartridge any more, cut the cartridge into pieces. Usually the cartridges have carbon in the filter bag. Discard that. But put the cut external pieces of the old cartridge behind the new cartridge in the new filter. You might get a little mini cycle but it should settle faster than from starting over. Just watch your water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, the bacteria lives in the filter and filter media. So if you put on a new filter and take off the old one, you take away all your bacteria (and your cycle)

I recently experienced this myself. Make sure you keep the old media. Try to figure out a way. I had a mini cycle happen to me. No damage done, but a lesson learned!!!

If you don't intent on using your old cartridge any more, cut the cartridge into pieces. Usually the cartridges have carbon in the filter bag. Discard that. But put the cut external pieces of the old cartridge behind the new cartridge in the new filter. You might get a little mini cycle but it should settle faster than from starting over. Just watch your water parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do this as best you can. I moved to a larger tank and new filter, put in the entire media and still had a pretty thorough cycle take place. So use all the media in your filter if you can. The sponge or floss as well as the biomedia. Test, test, test as you go forward.

Kevin

Thank you guys all for your input, I got the idea that a new filter wouldn't really be a problem since there's enough BB in the tank alone and eventually it'll flow through the filter and get familiar soon but I'll keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom