New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tomorrow I'll be upgrading my canister filter on my 115g tank. I know I need to place as much of the old media as possible in to the new filter but there's a few problems standing in my way:

1) the trays in the new filter are much larger and Mechanical media may not fill up the entire tray.

2) May use the old filter for my 55g tank therefore media can't be transfered. Right?

Note: I'm switching from a Jebo 839 to a Aquatop CF500 UV on the 115g tank. The Jebo will be moved to my start-up 55g.

Let me know your thoughts.

Split the media half and half (or maybe 30/70, 30 for your 55g and 70 for your 115g), it might do a mini-cycle but doing a couple of PWCs for the first few days will get you through it. It shouldn't take too long to finish cycling these tanks since you have a good amount of bacteria to start off with.

As for the mechanical media, the mesh, etc, just leave them in your Jebo. I've had that filter as well, worked for four years until I upgraded to an eheim last week. Doing maintenance for the Jebo was a nightmare though. It was incredibly difficult to line up those rubber rings between the trays without them turning half inside out, but it was great value for the money nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom