New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. I have a tetra whisper filter that was bought as part of the 20 gallon starter kit. I found that just as my 3 gallon it was quiet for about a month and now it's making a humming noise. I've tried taking out the filter and rinsing out in tank water other things such as repositioning it idk if it's something I'm doing or if it's just the filter. Plus I was told that it's probably too small for my 20 gallon any way. I'm looking to make it shhh or even get a new filter for it. This one hangs on the inside of the tank and it bugs me! I hate that it looks so ugly and takes up so much room. I was thinking of one that hangs on the back of my tank. Can anyone recommend one that would be good. I have learned not to trust the lfs for anything!

For the 3 gallon? Probably an aquaclear HOB (hang on back) filter.I think a model 20 would work fine. I currently have a Aquaclear 50 on my 10G and it works great.

For the 20, you could also go with an aquaclear or a marineland HOB I have both and I think they're both great filters. The difference is te media inside. The aquaclear filters have 3 stages, sponge, carbon and ceramic bio balls. You would typically change only one at a time, preserving the bacterial colony. Also, they have a small valve where you can customize the flow output.

The marineland filters are kinda noisy IMO. The aquaclears are super super quiet. The marineland filters are the standard replace-the-cartride filters. They also have a bio-wheel for the beneficial bacteria to grow on. Both are great filters.

Or you could just get a sponge filter for the 3 gallon haha hope this helped! :)

Yes this did help thank you! I think I'm going to go with the aqua clean cuz the tanks are in my bedroom and I need quiet! Lol Now what about size for the 20 gallon? I wanna make sure I get a big enough one to filter the tank properly!

Does anyone have any other suggestions or have a filter they prefer. Just trying to get all options. I need a quiet filter since its in my bedroom. A 20g

I agree the marinelands are quite noisy. Another filter to consider is an Aqueon Quietflow 30 (200gph) for your 20g. I have a few Aqueons & i am happy with them. :)

jlk said:
I agree the marinelands are quite noisy. Another filter to consider is an Aqueon Quietflow 30 (200gph) for your 20g. I have a few Aqueons & i am happy with them. :)

Are those the ones that hang off the back or sit down in the water! Mine sits down in and is driving me crazy! Lol

i just recently started my tank so as far as reliability i can't really say just yet

i bought two different kind of HOB filters for my 55 gallon. One is an aquaclear 70 and the other is a fluval c4. I bought two different kind of filters to test the two and see which one i like better.

The aquaclear is a nice filter. I like the fact that you can pretty much run this filter any way you choose...ex: with two sponges and no carbon or with the carbon,sponge and biomax. The aquaclear doesn't really sit all the way down on the rim of the tank, I guess my tank's rim is a little wider than most, it's not really a problem..it just puts out more bubbles than i would like

The Fluval C4 caught my eye online because it has a mini wet/dry built into the hang on back filter. It also seems to be quieter than my Aquaclear 70

either of these would be good choices IMO...just get one that is rated for your size tank, extra filtering never hurts

you can get both of these filters on amazon for around $40

Quest84 said:
i just recently started my tank so as far as reliability i can't really say just yet

i bought two different kind of HOB filters for my 55 gallon. One is an aquaclear 70 and the other is a fluval c4. I bought two different kind of filters to test the two and see which one i like better.

The aquaclear is a nice filter. I like the fact that you can pretty much run this filter any way you choose...ex: with two sponges and no carbon or with the carbon,sponge and biomax. The aquaclear doesn't really sit all the way down on the rim of the tank, I guess my tank's rim is a little wider than most, it's not really a problem..it just puts out more bubbles than i would like

The Fluval C4 caught my eye online because it has a mini wet/dry built into the hang on back filter. It also seems to be quieter than my Aquaclear 70

either of these would be good choices IMO...just get one that is rated for your size tank, extra filtering never hurts

you can get both of these filters on amazon for around $40

I would definitely would like something more quiet. I found an aquaclear 50 on amazon for $ I haven't looked for the fluval. I'm gonna see if anyone else has used it and likes the quiet of it! What exactly does the wet dry do for the tank? I'm just starting my first tank and learning the differences.

someone else can probably give you a better understanding of a wet/dry than I can. I'm also kind of new to the hobby.
I was told that the wet/dry provides better biological filtration

i am running 2 aqua clear 110s on my 90 gallon (just starting up) and Penguin 150 (Marineland with the bio wheel) on my 20gallon. I haven't had either for very long so I can't tell you how it does over the long term, but both are very quiet! you can not hear them running at all. the only thing I will say is that you have to fill your tank up full. if your water level is lower you will hear the water pouring into your tank. but they tell you to fill your tank up past the black rim so that you can not see the water line. if you follow these directions they are both very quiet. I will say the aqua clear is going to be more versitile. you can add and take out whatever filter stuff you want (add an extra sponge, add extra biomax, add something else, take out or leave in carbon) kinda lets you build what you want. they are both HOB. I will post a close up of the filter on the tank for you

The aquaclear 110 sits about 2.25 inches above the tank
Hope this helps. Remember if you go smaller than the 110 it will be smaller than mine

Tank still in building mode

Thanks so much!!! I think I'm going with the aqua clear. I really like the ability to adjust flow and pick what media I want to use. :)

Back
Top Bottom