New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So our filter broke and died on our 10G today we were wondering how long our fish could survive without the filter because it's snowing a crapton over here in new jersey and we have no way to get to the store and we can't go until saturday unless it's absolutely necessary. Also what is a reliable brand of filter we can get and can we use the filter media from our old filter? How long will they last without a filter?

First off, just try to change the water a few times a day and I think you'd be okay. But get a filter soon, you might want to try and fix the old one until then, or look up some DIY filter action (I'd suggest looking at "the king of DIY" on YouTube, he should have something.

However I'd go on amazon and get one of the whisper filters if you are going with the hang on back type. Then hit eBay and buy a cheap sponge filter in case this ever happens again.

Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks but I'm going to the store to buy those filters but thank you for the advice anyways! :)

I'd recommend an Aquaclear 20 or 30. Just keep your old filter pad/biomax submerged in some old tank water and the BB will be fine for a while. How much water you'll need to change depends on your individual tank, but as already mentioned 1-2x 50% daily changes should keep your fish fine without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom