New finnex light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some money as a graduation present and took a look at what I really need for my tanks. Since I really need to replace the bulbs on my t5ho fixture and that was going to cost approx $60 :eek: I took a look at LED fixtures.

I checked out some finnex fixtures and saw this new gem which is about to be released. What do you guys think?

My only concern about this light is that the programmed light period will be too long to prevent algae growth.

Also, with me having a 40b tank which is 18" wide, do you guys think I would need 1 or two fixtures to maintain a fairly high light level?

Finnex planted 24/7 reply and C02 question.

So I have seen this light available for pre-order on amazon and I intend to get one as well and us th 24/7 feature to help make my light more like real sun for the pond lilies I intend to grow.
First off, this product looks excellent for the price. I bought a current USA 36" just like this for 140$, and it only lit half my tank. This one was measuring 60 about 6" deep in that small aquarium so it should maintain at last a medium light par 30-50 throughout most of your tank.
The video stated it has the same output as the previous finnex planted fixture, which lit my whole 36" wide bowfront tank that is either 48 or 55 gallons, so you shouldn't need a second light, the one planted strip was enough to grow plenty of algae in my tank. You are going to need some sort of cheap c02 diffuser or at least the tablets to cut down on algae.
Since my tropical lily is stated to need 16 hours of light in full sun per day, I am going to use a t8 with it in case I need more powerful light for any period in the day...I wouldn't recommend 2 of them simply bc of the price. With one nice LED one t8 that I could actually personally sell u a brand new one cheap(I couldn't find a 36" fixture that takes a 36" light for under 55$, so I bought a 2 pack for 67$, figuring I can sell it for 30$ plus shipping to make half my money back.
This is where I need help. I have never needed to add c02 to a planted tank until now bc my lilies need light for so long each day. I am using 3 6500k t5's to light the tank now, but I think they are getting old, bc they are making green algae water fast and the lilies aren't making floating leaves anymore like they did when I had my finnex planted +(sold to buy the 24/7)...
I just need to know the cheapest way to c02 to the tank. I looked at a pressurized c02 tank and it was 120$, a cheaper setup that makes its own c02 for 20$ but needs replacement c02 every 6 weeks that costs 5$(I am going with this if I nobody gives me better advice) and my other option is to hook up a couple c02 diffusers to an air pump. I have always just used air stones in my planted tanks, and I have 2 air stones on one side of the tank, I thought 2 cheap c02 diffusers/atomizers on the other side would be a nice experiment, a hardy lily with air stones on one side, and a tropical with co2 on the other side(I might try this and the last product I mentioned if I can't some unanimous advice) I am worried that the c02 diffusers will not work on a regular air pump though, which is why I am asking about them. Has anyone ever tried a c02 diffuser attached to air pump. I know it won't work as well as if it were connected to straight c02, but does it work at all.

What's the reasoning for hooking an air pump up to an atomizer?

I use pressurized CO2 so I'm not particularly worried about having too much light. I already run 4x t5ho bulbs over my 40b tank so it's high light right now.

I'm just worried about distribution of light. The more off center you get from the fixture, the lower the light level is. With that being the case, my light level could drop on a tank that's wide like the 40b causing me to have medium or even low light on the front and back of my tank as well as shading the tops of my background plants.

I just don't have enough experience with the finnex fixtures to know how well their light is distributed.

So I have seen this light available for pre-order on amazon and I intend to get one as well and us th 24/7 feature to help make my light more like real sun for the pond lilies I intend to grow.

First off, this product looks excellent for the price. I bought a current USA 36" just like this for 140$, and it only lit half my tank. This one was measuring 60 about 6" deep in that small aquarium so it should maintain at last a medium light par 30-50 throughout most of your tank.

The video stated it has the same output as the previous finnex planted fixture, which lit my whole 36" wide bowfront tank that is either 48 or 55 gallons, so you shouldn't need a second light, the one planted strip was enough to grow plenty of algae in my tank. You are going to need some sort of cheap c02 diffuser or at least the tablets to cut down on algae.

Since my tropical lily is stated to need 16 hours of light in full sun per day, I am going to use a t8 with it in case I need more powerful light for any period in the day...I wouldn't recommend 2 of them simply bc of the price. With one nice LED one t8 that I could actually personally sell u a brand new one cheap(I couldn't find a 36" fixture that takes a 36" light for under 55$, so I bought a 2 pack for 67$, figuring I can sell it for 30$ plus shipping to make half my money back.

This is where I need help. I have never needed to add c02 to a planted tank until now bc my lilies need light for so long each day. I am using 3 6500k t5's to light the tank now, but I think they are getting old, bc they are making green algae water fast and the lilies aren't making floating leaves anymore like they did when I had my finnex planted +(sold to buy the 24/7)...

I just need to know the cheapest way to c02 to the tank. I looked at a pressurized c02 tank and it was 120$, a cheaper setup that makes its own c02 for 20$ but needs replacement c02 every 6 weeks that costs 5$(I am going with this if I nobody gives me better advice) and my other option is to hook up a couple c02 diffusers to an air pump. I have always just used air stones in my planted tanks, and I have 2 air stones on one side of the tank, I thought 2 cheap c02 diffusers/atomizers on the other side would be a nice experiment, a hardy lily with air stones on one side, and a tropical with co2 on the other side(I might try this and the last product I mentioned if I can't some unanimous advice) I am worried that the c02 diffusers will not work on a regular air pump though, which is why I am asking about them. Has anyone ever tried a c02 diffuser attached to air pump. I know it won't work as well as if it were connected to straight c02, but does it work at all.

Probably better to start your own thread with all these questions rather than asking them on someone else's. It'll generate more traffic that way.

What's the reasoning for hooking an air pump up to an atomizer?

I use pressurized CO2 so I'm not particularly worried about having too much light. I already run 4x t5ho bulbs over my 40b tank so it's high light right now.

I'm just worried about distribution of light. The more off center you get from the fixture, the lower the light level is. With that being the case, my light level could drop on a tank that's wide like the 40b causing me to have medium or even low light on the front and back of my tank as well as shading the tops of my background plants.

I just don't have enough experience with the finnex fixtures to know how well their light is distributed.

I would definitely get two fixtures. Also, I had the sound down on the video but how tall was the tank he was measuring in? 61 isn't high lighting as far as I know. I think 80+ is considered high.

Congrats on graduating! I just graduated too, starting up my master's program in like a month and a half. I'm dreading it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I saw this a couple weeks ago, and I plan to buy this on or around the 15th from Amazon. It seems identical to my Current Sat Plus Pro, but the price is amazing. I have not tried Finnex, but I have heard people around hear ranting about how good they're for plants w/ a great price. So I would hope the quality and performance is just as good or better.

This will go on my 40G-B and replace my DIY CFL's.

Well, i pre ordered 2 of them. They will be here in 9 days so i will let you guys know what i think of them.

They should definitely put you in the high light range.

I have just one planted plus on my 55 and it has great coverage. It definitely gave me immediate algae problems lol

But after seeing this vid I'm going to want that new fixture now! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got one for my low tech, I'm going to raise it to around 18 and the 24/7 program.. 2 on a 40b with a custom spectrum should do nicely!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After reading more into it, the only caveat I saw is its in ability to show how much R/G/B/W you are manually tuning in. That is the one thing i really like about the Sat Plus Pro, knowing my Whites are at 85/100, Reds 85/100 etc... I guess if you just count how many times you press up or down and mark it on paper you should be ok.

Same as the original sat plus.. just eyeball it...

How much does the sat plus pro cost though?

Much more, and I am not against the Planted+24/7. I was just pointing out a feature that I felt would not raise the pricing that much more while still being very competitive against the Sat Plus pro; its not a deal breaker on the 24/7 (I plan to purchase one) :)

Sorry just talking, I love tech :D its the sector I work in

The sat plus pro has a bit more power I'd think. The official par data on the 24/7 is yet to be gathered and shared. We're going on the 61@16" for now. Seems about the same as the planted plus, maybe a but stronger. The sat pro is 75@16 for reference..

P0j7CI.jpg

Just about the only par data I've seen is the 60 par at 16" for the 24/7.

However, I did see a video somewhere that posted a time lapse of the 24/7 lighting cycle with a par meter. They had it at 7 inches where the par was 100 so that percentages could be done. With mathimilations I got these figures throughout the day for the light cycle.

Time / Par / Par at Substrate
0300 / 0 / 0
0400 / 3 / 1.8
0600 / 6 / 3.6
0900 / 10 / 6
1000 / 50 / 30
1200 / 90 / 54
1500 / 100 / 60
1600 / 60 / 36
1700 / 35 / 21
1900 / 14 / 8.4
2000 / 14 / 8.4
2200 / 8 / 4.8
2400 / 0 / 0

The only par data I've seen is the 60 par at 16" for the 24/7.

However, I did see a video somewhere that posted a time lapse of the 24/7 lighting cycle. With mathimilations I got these figures throughout the day for the light cycle.

Time / Par / Par at Substrate
0300 / 0 / 0
0400 / 3 / 1.8
0600 / 6 / 3.6
0900 / 10 / 6
1000 / 50 / 30
1200 / 90 / 54
1500 / 100 / 60
1600 / 60 / 36
1700 / 35 / 21
1900 / 14 / 8.4
2000 / 14 / 8.4
2200 / 8 / 4.8
2400 / 0 / 0

I wonder what the fading in and out of Par would have on the plants, I would presume it mimics natural day light; is the constant PAR better for growth vs natural?

I wonder what the fading in and out of Par would have on the plants, I would presume it mimics natural day light; is the constant PAR better for growth vs natural?

I don't know. I honestly doubt it would make much difference. I am kind of worried about algae growth though with it's whole cycle.

I don't know. I honestly doubt it would make much difference. I am kind of worried about algae growth though with it's whole cycle.

I guess you don't have to use the 24/7 cycle, you could tune in your parms; then use a standard house lamp timer to power it on / off (if it will remember your settings on power up). But then that kinda defeats its purpose for buying the 24/7 version (other than tuning your color channels)

I wonder if you can hold down the 12/3/6/9/12/3/6/9 buttons and input your own programmed lighting level.

I guess you don't have to use the 24/7 cycle, you could tune in your parms; then use a standard house lamp timer to power it on / off (if it will remember your settings on power up). But then that kinda defeats its purpose for buying the 24/7 version (other than tuning your color channels)

I wonder if you can hold down the 12/3/6/9/12/3/6/9 buttons and input your own programmed lighting level.

The 24/7 is $2 more than the planted plus. It's not a big deal if the cycle wont work for me :D

I doubt it's programmable. Future models will likely be though.

Back
Top Bottom