New fish, brings new questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had a few losses last week, was on vacation and the person I had feeding my fish forgot the betta pellets so I lost my 4 bettas.

Very upsetting, but I have since saved a new 3 from the tortures of the pet store plastic cups.

When I was in the store I took a trip past the fish wall, and spotted a Fire red dwarf gourami and picked him up. My question is can I keep more than one in the same tank?
I liked the look of the powder blue DG also but didnt want to risk it

To answer a question you did not ask:
Are you sure the bettas died because of not being fed? How long were you away for?
Might be worth testing the water in case there is something else wrong...

Are you sure the bettas died because of not being fed? How long were you away for?

Was wondering this as well. Those buggers can go for 2-3 weeks with no food.

Was wondering this as well. Bettas can live for 2-3 weeks without food. Have heard a betta was lost in shipping, and turned up 5 weeks later. Alive.

So, im sorry i didnt respond sooner but your questions prompted me to investigate, and I just found my canister filter unplugged.
I was gone for 5 days. I have now been told that at the end of day 2, the heater in my canister filter malfunctioned and had my tank up over 94 F. So the person I had taking care of the fish just unplugged the filter, and never told me about it.

Im now assuming that the spike in temperature killed them. Other than that water specs are normal.

How do you go about sexing a DG?

If your filter was unplugged for several days, and also possibly got over heated, there is a good chance that the beneficial bacteria colony might be harmed.

Might be a good idea to test your water? Or have you done that already?

Water was tested the moment I got back yes.

Also, in addition to the canister filter I have 2 HOB filters, 1 rated for 50 gallons 1 rated for 60. My tank is 40G so I dont think too much went bad bacteria wise

Back
Top Bottom