new fish...have i messed up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreamangelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi!
i bought three albino cherry barbs today and followed the instructions on the bag to acclimate them to their new tank.

however, i poured in the let shop's water into my tank and watched a video after which told me i shouldn't have poured in that water.

i'm a bit worried now, but i'm not sure what effect this might have all in all. will it be ok or is there something i should do?
what can happen?

thanks!

Yeah. Dont do that. Any diseases, parasites etc that may be the fish stores water will now be in your tank.

Probably not much more risk than not quarantining new fish, but monitor your fish for health issues as you should be doing anyway.

Yeah. Dont do that. Any diseases, parasites etc that may be the fish stores water will now be in your tank.

Probably not much more risk than not quarantining new fish, but monitor your fish for health issues as you should be doing anyway.

okay thanks

I am new and I don't know how to ask a question on here so I hope I'm not butting in. I have a sick angel fish that has turned white and his eye is clouded over. Please help. I don't want to lose my other fish. And how do you acclimate tell fish and not put the water in the bag in the aquarium?

I am new and I don't know how to ask a question on here so I hope I'm not butting in. I have a sick angel fish that has turned white and his eye is clouded over. Please help. I don't want to lose my other fish. And how do you acclimate tell fish and not put the water in the bag in the aquarium?

oh wow ok dw.

there are plenty videos on the internet on how to get your new fish used to your aquarium, and usually you are informed about the process when you are buying them. once you have done all the steps, get the fish out of the bag into the aquarium water by using a net/netting them out.

about your angel fish, i think that is fungus on it that has made it white. i'm not sure what it is or how to cure it, but those are definitely symptoms of illness in your fish.
to start with, quarantine the sick fish in a separate tank so they don't all get infected. that's for sure. then, you should post your problem as a new topic so more people can easily see the issue and hopefully someone more experienced can help you out.
you should watch some videos on youtube, go on google and call your local pet shop if you haven't done the above already. doing all that should give you some sense of direction on where to go, what to buy and how to help your fish.

to ask new questions, start a new topic (i think) by pressing on the list image with a + sign.

i'm not very experienced, so i hope you find someone who is to give you further advice.

good luck!

In most cases, just float the bag for 30 minutes to equalise the temperature. Support your net over a bucket, open the bag and quickly pour out the contents into the net so the fish get caught in the net and the water drops into the bucket. Transfer the fish into your tank.

This should normally be a good acclimatisation practice except where you are transferring fish between 2 very different set of water parameters. Then you might want to look into something a bit more complex involving acclimating the fish to the water conditions over a period of time.

Back
Top Bottom