New fish house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Originally they wanted £40 for the fish! That's extreme money I think!)
I only got it because it was half that price.
Plecs are where I seem to spend though, I remember the l128 blue phantom being £45. That was a stunning fish, hardly saw it, but when I did! Rewards aplenty, that is until I found the carcass! I think the L030 was around £25-30, and that was the old tax rate too! God knows what they charge now!

Hopefully it will live a good life (and give me some good pictures!)

Not sure if it's the same for you but I only think about the cost at the till, once I'm home, I'm only thinking fishy fish fish!

Yup, they're big bucks here to, i was at my lfs when my L134 came in, $75.... had to have him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's it, you think hmm, too much.
Then you're in the car driving. . . BIG OLD GRIN on the face.
Happy about that fish in the bag.

That's why we are here! (Just in case you were wondering)

Papa plec and the gold stripe panaque are nice looking fish i hope they're both doing well. You can tell by the distended belly on P-Diddy that he's happy with his place in life. I've been fairly boring about my plecos and only have a pair of male bristlenose. We get the peppermint plecs locally but i've not splurged on any yet. Plecs are fun when they're not hiding. I mostly see mine when i strategically drop their favorite foods in the bare spaces of my tanks. My usual impulse buys are normally plants that i have no tank space for.

My latest impulse buy was a 4x2x2 foot tank. I'd been looking for a tank with these dimensions for a space in my loungeroom for months when i spotted it. Got it at cost price ($250) from a LFS that was closing down as well. I paid for it by putting off an electricity bill. The week after i bought it i found out i'll be moving from this rental pretty soon anyway (in a matter totally unrelated to unpaid electricity bills). I have yet to get my filtration and heating for it so it's teasing me from my spare room. I plan to have an RO unit and some good lights for plants before i run it anyway so there was some waiting to do before setting it up anyway. I'm keen to get this beast filled with plants, water and fish though.

Oh dear somebody else is suffering from the same illness I have! Thanks for asking though al, and yes, the new fish are doing well. Papa is growing, I might call him Pluto? (That's the biggest thing I can think of that starts with a P)
The gold stripe is elusive but alive, so that's the main thing I guess?

I went a bit crazy in January, I got 8 new black neons to increase my shoal from 8 to 16 fish, these went in with the C. aggasizii after Qt!

Also helped with another tank and got paid in fish! Cheers!
These are 1 male betta crown tail which is absolutely stunning and a monster shoal of buenos aires tetra which I got yesterday (Saturday 31st January) there are 21 tetra, basically I cleared the tank, hopefully I will increase the shoal to 40 and they will end up in with the clown loaches, along with the L203, that completes the system at last! Finally I have all the fishes I can fit into the building, except those salty beasts!

Good luck with the move fella! I know how tricky it is moving fishes, I know how many you have! That's going to be a tough day or three!

Oh dear!

(Saturday 31st jan 2015)

Betta sp. crow tail var.

Buenos Aires tetra. 21 fish

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi
Yes this is a half empty tank shot. (Work in progress) these are the fish I've been looking for, but, I didn't know that until today! Perfect fish. Massive shoal! Happy days, more to follow.

Quarantine shot,
Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi

Black neon tetra shoal. 8 new fish. Sunday 11th January 2015. 45litre quarantine. Almost one week later and so far, 8 healthy fish, 2 have caudal fin erosion, could be from initial import, issues caused by water quality. Should grow back fine, the shop I got these from had excellent water! The best I've seen!
(Photos shot Sunday)

Just back from the fish house, everything is alive this morning, new and more colourful pics to follow.

Thanks for watching.
(y)

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi, Buenos Aires tetra. by Nano Second Artist, on Flickr

My latest shoal, not particularly rare but the way they fed is worth witnessing!

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi, Buenos Aires tetra. by Nano Second Artist, on Flickr

Feeding response! Perfect additions indeed! The clowns often left floating food, problem solved! The surface literally boils now!

Made an error by getting far too many fish! They overwhelmed the filter capacity of the 60, so I moved them into the 750 far sooner than I originally and normally planned. Everything is ok except the betta has camallanus nematode.

The shop will replace him if it dies even though it will be outside of their usual timeframe policy. Happy days. Almost. . . .

I'm glad almost everyone is doing well. I hope the Betta makes it through. Now that you have the fish house pretty much at capacity is there a threat that you'll have tanks spilling over into the people house again or do you think you have the self control to stop there?

Er, not really! I still have a reef to build! That will keep me busy!
(Just need to rob a bank!)

Yes, the betta, what a story! I may add that here when I get to the end of the situation. Sterazin was a waste of time, now I'm using a pigeon wormer. (Avian)
This stuff really works! Hope I'm not too late!

Levamisole Hcl vs camallanus nematode, the fight continues!

Who would ever bother de worming a pigeon hahah??

Racing pigeons is serious business in England!
I know! (But they probably don't get Fishkeeping)

Stems back to the 1st war when they were used as homing pigeons to carry messages I think? The fastest pigeons were prized animals, people still do it!

Ohhh, ok... I've read about that somewhere.. i think drug dealers in the states use them for the "business".. debo's pigeon coupe..

That's pretty smart! If a little dumb! A homing pigeon! You're gonna get caught, cos it'll fly straight back to you! (Dart and tag, captured)

Led upgrade (before/after)

Hidom 6500k led lights, 12w per unit vs 30w per tube.
Much tidier, much safer!
Designed as clip on but modified angle aluminium for overhead mount.
Look nice and they work! Cheap as chips!
The old lid cracked so I had this as a temporary fix until the tubes expired.:facepalm:
Not exactly safe but functional!:whistle:

Evidence!
Led growth rate, now shooting leaves per day!

(y)

Welcome to 2015 J!!

:ROFLMAO:
(I know!)

AND ITS MID MARCH!
Talk about late to the party:whistle:
Fashionably late or a tardy fool?
:angel:

I hope these things last a few years, the units are actually quite nice looking, I may get more. . .
They are so cheap now, not like years ago when they arrived!
Nowadays EVERYBODY is selling them, not just a few top boys.

(Definitely upgrading the rest of my tubes, I thought I was cutting edge with my ballast free starters!:D)

(y)

New things!

Pair of L204 P. albivermis (Flash plec)

Too nice to leave behind!
June 13th 2015, lovely fish, couldn't leave behind! Perfect for one of my tanks!
Not quite an impulse buy but I didn't set out to get them! Got a good deal on the pair. Happy man. . .(y)

Red Cherry Shrimp!

21 shrimp from a private trader (gumtree) £1 each, paid for 15! Great deal!
1 female died while berried, think this may have been caused by the move and the water parameters changing? (A slow change but. . .)
Unsure.
A few more females are successfully holding eggs with apparently no problems. Happy days. I got these bank holiday Monday, 25th may.
(Currently living in the skimmer section of the reef build! Hopefully I can build the reef soon!)

Thanks for watching!;)

Nice plec's J!!! Welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom