New Fish is Isolating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TNGuy85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new fancy goldfish, and it’s a baby only about an inch or two long. I introduced him to the tank along with another new fish at the same time (there was already an existing goldfish as well, total 3 fish). I ordered these fish from Coast Gem online and they were shipped to me.

Unfortunately, I went out of town for a week the day after adding the new fish. Before I left I made sure water parameters were perfect. I left my dad to watch the fish, and one of the new ones died. It sounds like he was able to get it out of the tank within a few hours of its death.

Since coming home last night, the other new fish is just hanging out in place with clamped fins at the top corner of the tank. Not gasping at all, just sitting motionless.

He does move around and swim to all depths when approached and is eating, but then spits up his food.

The existing older fish is acting completely normal.

It’s a 37 gallon tank, with plenty of space. It’s an established tank with air stone and a few Marimo moss balls as well.

When I came home the ammonia level was high at 1.0. I immediately did a complete water change and made sure my levels are good.

I think the ammonia was likely high from the fish that died as well as the new fish just be generally anxious to the new tank. I should add the ammonia is never that high in my tank.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

I’m treating the tank with MinnFinn now to ward off any potential disease.

Back
Top Bottom