new fish, no QT!!! freakin out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JASONinNM

Aquarium Advice Activist
My beautiful girlfriend bought me a new fish and I have no QT set up!!! I have tank, extras equipment for one but how do I 'establish' it fast? Like.... I already have the fish in a bucket!! So I'm freakin out a bit.

Iv heard of people using piece of a sponge filter from DT to get the biological filter aspect of it going....

Do you have a tank already running?? If so nick some filter media from the established tank and pop it in the qt tank some substrate also may be beneficial but most f the beneficial bacteria colonise the filter

What about water? Fill QT with water from DT? And yes I have one running would putting the sponge in a HOB filter work? (With no other media)

Can't see why not try putting some water from your tank in to the new qt this should give the sponge some good bacteria in the water column to keep it going from the start and help the filter a little bit. I'm not an expert but that's what I would be doing

My beautiful girlfriend bought me a new fish and I have no QT set up!!! I have tank, extras equipment for one but how do I 'establish' it fast? Like.... I already have the fish in a bucket!! So I'm freakin out a bit.

Iv heard of people using piece of a sponge filter from DT to get the biological filter aspect of it going....
Obviously this isn't an ideal situation.
First tell your girlfriend you love the gesture but a living surprise isn't always the best thing for the animal, be it dog, cat, bird, or fish. Next time a gift certificate for a new fish would be better for the fish
Next, there are a couple things you can do. One you can take it back to the FS until your truly ready. If that's a no, then you'll need to keep the fish warm while you set up the new tank. If you have hot and cold gel packs for injuries, you can heat one and put a towel between it and the what ever you have the fish in. Rotate as needed to keep warm.
Set up your tank with Safe Start and let it run for 24 hrs. before you add the fish. This isn't a great way to do it, but now you'll have to do your cycling with the fish in the tank.
It takes longer and you'll need to test every morning and every evening, to make sure that your ammonia levels never get above .25ppm. If it's .25 or higher do a PWC to bring it back to 0. It's a lot of work and dedication, but you need to do it that often until you've cycled. It can take up to 3 months this way but, your fish should live through it this way. By keeping the ammonia and the nitrites below .25ppm at all times you can avoid ammonia or nitrite toxicity.
If you have any filter media from your established tank, you can use it to speed up the cycling process. Some people get established media from their LFS, but again you have the problem of not knowing how disease free it is.
It's much safer if you can use some of your own
It is still stressful on the fish when you do daily PWC. So use Prime as a dechlorinator and help with the cycle. Then use Stress Coat or similar stress product with Aloe. It will help keep your new fish stable while the water stabilizes.
There are some biological additives you can get that are suppose to add bacteria to your tank, but I found most of those to be a waste of money.
Or you could just put him in with all your other fish and pray he isn't carrying any diseases. But I wouldn't recommend that doing that one. It may cost you all of your fish.
What I've done to avoid anything like this from happening to me or anyone I know is, I have a bucket that I put gravel and heater and filter and anything that can be used to seed a new tank. After it's been used I put it back in the bucket to gather more good bacteria.
It's worked a couple of times to speed the up a cycle. Just an idea, to be prepared in the future
Lots of good luck to you and all your fish

I'm actually usually well prepared person as I did sit her down and let her getting a new fish is like getting a new dog... we can't just throw it in the tank... she understood but it was still an awesome gesture as she HATES my fish (all my time goes into the fish haha) anyways...I stated that I keep extra sponge in my DT sump to colonize the bacteria needed. Every other time iv used this method (twice) its worked but have always had a few days to get the QT up and going... hopefully this workes out as this doesn't look hopeful. I will post pics and keep updated.... any other advice wwanted.

If I put the colonized sponge pad in back of a HOB filter would this work?? (Obviously id have to remove the biowheel before/while medicating).

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110308_060220.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110308_060220.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 157
I've never used a sponge but I imagine the principle is the same so yes it should work for seeding your tank.
If she truly hates your fish then it was a grand gesture and sending it back would be a bad idea. She may be trying to be part of your fish hobby. You know the old, if you can't beat em, join em.
Good luck with both the fish and the girlfriend

Sooo the tang seems to be doing great! Thank u for your advice!!!

I'm really glad :D to hear that. You seem much calmer :cool: now about things.
How is the new fish doing during all this?
I don't remember if you said what kind of fish it was, so I'm asking, what kind of fish did your girlfriend get you?

Haha a tang! (Yellow tang). Its doing great! Active like tangs should be, eating... talked to A LOT of people about treatments for ich and feel I have it under control!

At least she didn't get you a tang that requires a 6' tank. Although the yellow tang is pushing it for a 46G. I'm glad that she's getting into the hobby. I finally got my wife into the idea of adding a 125G, assuming I can get a used one for a good price :p

Yellow tang,

That is a great looking fish. Your girlfriend has really good taste in fish.
When it finishes QT and it's in with the rest post a few pics., I'd like to see it with other fish.
He's looking really healthy, but don't rush it. Give him a couple more weeks.

Yeah thanks guys! He is looking real good. But yes I won't rush it, thanks. The longer the better/safer. Thanks dylyn!
I know and that's what I said I hope he's not too crampped coming from the vast ocean to 46 gallons! Poor fish! But he seems to be coming along great! With the help of you all! Thanks I sure will post pics when he's ready!

Back
Top Bottom