NEW fish owner-Flame Tetra Sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meterrell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a first time fish owner. I purchased a used 30gal tank And all that went with it from a man online. I wasn’t planning on adding fish until I had time to do a little research but he still had 2 flame tetras in the tank and asked if I would want them. Not wanting him to just kill them I agreed to take them.
After getting home I filled the tank with tap water. Started the filter and added a half a cap of the primer he had given me. I waited until the tank was at 78 degrees and then added the fish.
Later that evening I noticed that one of the fish had a pink thing coming out of their belly.
It eventually came all the way out and can be seen laying at the bottom of the tank. I thought it was a worm at first but it’s not alive. I have no idea what’s wrong and what I need to do. Please help. I’ve added photos to help better explain.

1~What type of fish is affected? Flame Tetra.
2~What are your tank parameters? Please give exact values. 78 degrees, I don’t know how to test the water for other chemical levels yet.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 30 gallon tank. Set it up for 2 days.
4~What type of filtration are you using? . Fluval ?
5~How many fish are in the tank? Only have the 2 tetras in the tank.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Water is new.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Feeding once a day with Tetra flakes.

Attachments

• F5AF1F78-3BE0-4EB4-ACE3-CDDEB510EF65.jpeg
    F5AF1F78-3BE0-4EB4-ACE3-CDDEB510EF65.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 6E522609-293C-4FFD-BF4E-80833CF9A672.jpeg
    6E522609-293C-4FFD-BF4E-80833CF9A672.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 29
  • C61444E6-4693-473A-A1EE-DF95485E8DA0.jpeg
    C61444E6-4693-473A-A1EE-DF95485E8DA0.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 22
The fish could have parasites. Did this come out of the anus or from the body of the fish?

Camallanus, Capillaria worms are often seen in the anus of the fish.

Internal parasites can be treated. Hikari PraziPro is popular and has good ratings.

That fish has a bent spine and it could have other disease, issues.

Grab up that thing that came out of the fish and get it out of the tank.

Make sure to wash your hands after touching any tank water. If you have any cuts /sores on your hands make sure to use gloves, to be on the safe side.

The kitchen tool turkey baster might come in handy, and then use only for the fish tanks!

Back
Top Bottom