New fish tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I plan on getting a 12 gallon eclipse aquarium. My stocking plan is 3 Albino Cory catfish and 1 female betta I already own. Would this be overstocking? Iplan to use sand substrate with live plants. Would Marimo balls be good? I want marimo balls and some other live plants. I heard the eclipse doesn't have powerful lighting but can still support normal plants. What plants do you suggest? I don't test my water regularly but the guy at petco tested it and said it's fine for cories. I'm going to buy a 50 watt heater and use the pure ammonia cycle method. Is this a good plan? I'd like to hear you suggestions and opinions. Here's a YouTube video of what I wan it to look like. YouTube - ‪Comrad the papa betta fish & his albino cory babies 12 gallon Eclipse aquarium‬‎

Last edited:
Some Petsmart carry anubias, amazon swords, water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis). Those are true aquatic plants. Don't fall for ribbon plants, mondo grass, and there's a fern they sell (here anyways) but I can't think of the name. Those are some they sell in the tubes.

Our Petsmart also carries java fern on driftwood, that is a good one to get. If you don't like the driftwood, you can detach the plant and use it elsewhere.

if you have trouble finding plants for it let me know. i would stick to anubias crypts java ferns moss and you can try the marimo ball.

amazons get too big for a 12 gallon tank.

Is my stocking plan ok?

Ok so is my stocking plan ok? Or do the cories get too big?
Some Petsmart carry anubias, amazon swords, water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis). Those are true aquatic plants. Don't fall for ribbon plants, mondo grass, and there's a fern they sell (here anyways) but I can't think of the name. Those are some they sell in the tubes.

Our Petsmart also carries java fern on driftwood, that is a good one to get. If you don't like the driftwood, you can detach the plant and use it elsewhere.

Further Help

Ok so is my stocking plan ok? Or will the cories get too big? And im haveing a hard time finding any plants. The only place that sells aquatic supplies is our tiny petco. They dont know what their plants are they just call them "assorted plants. Thanks!
if you have trouble finding plants for it let me know. i would stick to anubias crypts java ferns moss and you can try the marimo ball.

amazons get too big for a 12 gallon tank.

It depends on what Cory species you get. I would stick to one that stays around 2". I would also increase the number to 6-7. The more the merrier. :)

Panda Cories, Skunk/Arcuatus Cories, False Juliis/Trilineatus/3-line Cories, and Julii Cories are all pretty common in some areas and get around 2". If you can find Dwarf Cories, stick with those....but increase your number to 8. Corydoras habrosus are small and cute.

Back
Top Bottom