New fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Left side

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I helped my buddie set up his 55g just put the water sand filter heater and hoods we are going up.north for the weekend and was wondering what we can put in it to help it along wile were gone?

If either of you or someone you know has an established tank a some live filter media--media in running filter--added to the filter would help. If you're using an underground gravel filter, just cut the air and stuff it down the lift tube and under the plate. If not add it to the filter casing. If you can't do that a small handful of gravel from an established tank will work, just not as well. Either will help seed the tank with bacteria and get the process moving much more quickly.

Good luck and hey, read up on how to cycle the tank.

Beneficial bacteria doesn't grow in the substrate, but good call in the uses filter media
Also buy some tetra safe start

Beneficial bacteria doesn't grow in the substrate, but good call in the uses filter media
Also buy some tetra safe start

You can skip the safe start, especially if you are going on vacation. It will help but definitely not necessary. Also, every surface in a tank will grow tons of bacteria so you could use just about anything.

I heard pure ammonia helps?

If you want the cycle to get under way without any maintenance put a store bought shrimp inside a nylon stocking and leave it in the tank. It will give you a time released ammonia source.

If you want the cycle to get under way without any maintenance put a store bought shrimp inside a nylon stocking and leave it in the tank. It will give you a time released ammonia source.[/QUOTE]

Well whould more then one work well? And we will be gone all weekend? They should be fine?

Just start with one or two. It should put enough ammonia in the water to get the ball rolling at least until you get back

Just start with one or two. It should put enough ammonia in the water to get the ball rolling at least until you get back

I wanna be sittin pretty by that time I no not perfect but decent

I wanna be sittin pretty by that time I no not perfect but decent

Back
Top Bottom