new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paddyboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Im new to aquariums. Ive had two tetras living in a 1.5 gal tank for a year with light , gravel and small cave they were doing fine. recently i upgraded to a 10 gal. and introduced another type of tetra and he chased unceasingly the smaller tetra and tonight when i got home the little guy was on the bottom. hes alive but his tail fins and one side was nipped off whats this about and what should i do? the other fish seems fine because hes bigger i think than the new one. thanks

yes i do but the tail is virtually gone on her. will it grow back? the bigger one is a black striped tetra and the little wounded one is a small orange with black fins tetra fantail i think they got along graet till i put in the new tetra i think its a bleeding heart.....thanks for the welcome.

Bleeding heart tetras are maybe some of the biggest of all of the tetras and for a tetra to be comfortable they need at least 6 of them. The small orange one could be a sepera tetra and the other one black skirt tetra. i would advise taking the little guy out and putting him in his own little tank till he is better and get some more tetras of ONE kind. Probably your faveourite

Thanks Jason, I came home and that tetra killed an algae eater yesterday ...tailand fins missing and oddly it was covered in a moldiness of sorts from decay....in one day wow. but the other fish were clinching to the corners and tops of the tank and hiding behind plants and everything while this other fish was prowling the waters so to speak i removed him and its like a completely diff. tank....such harmony and peace and the fish are schooling and spread thru out the tank. it was a uniquely agressive tetra i was told at pet smart. all seems well now thanks.

Welcome to AA.

Yeah, some tetras can be aggressive snots. Even the cute lil neons can have a mean streak. We've had some that picked on guppies. Glad you got the tank back in harmony. :)

Back
Top Bottom