New Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
My green hair algae problem is getting under control, Cut the lighting schedule. I got a powder blue tang from liveaquaria and it is one of the most healthy I have seen. I know its only the first day, but it loves brine shrimp and I floated small pieces of nori but it was picky about which pieces to eat. It also ate that brown lettuce algae. I figure I should try that brown ocean nutrtion nori. I really wanted a naso or blond naso, but this PBT is very healthy looking. I got a PBT about three yrs ago and it lived a week, I never really could get it to eat. Hopefully this one will continue eating, just some thoughts!

Nice. What size tank. Hopefully the larger bio-load of a tang does not kick up your HA again. Got any pictures?

Just keep a good eye out out on him. PBT`s are notorius for being ick magnets. What size tank do you have. IMO they need at least a 125 gallon tank. But of course that is IMO. I hope all goes well.

Cool. IME tangs won't go after floating nori, it has to be attached to a rock or clip.

The PBT didn't bother with the nori when in the clip. I think I will get the brown ocean nutrition nori, he also will eat some flakes. Does everone thaw their brine and then drain? I started to and I also soak the brine in zoe for at least a half hour. I plan on getting a neon goby and a cleaner shrimp to prevent any ich, the PBT looks really healthy though.

Like everyone else stated PBT's are notorious ich magnets. I had one some time ago and ended up giving him away after several qt treatments, re-introductions to the main tank, and again having to qt him for ich treatment; several months after running the tank fallow.

Like tec has said brine shrimp is not a nutritious enough diet for a surgeonfish. I recommend a mixture of New Life Spectrum Marine pellets, frozen foods such as the one tec mentioned, and freeze dried norii. The norii can help boost the tang's immune system and possible protect somewhat against a potential parasitic outbreak. Personally I would have qt'd the fish for at least one month before introduction into the main aquarium, considering how succeptable they are to ich and how much stress shipping places on a fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom